Special Assessments

Contact Us

Public Works

Payment of Special Assessments

The Special Assessment Office is responsible for assessments originating from the Public Works Department.

Special Assessment Office
309 2nd Ave S, Room 209
Minneapolis, MN 55401-2268
Phone: (612) 673-2401

8:00 AM – 4:30 PM

How are special assessments paid?

Special Assessments appear as a line item on your Hennepin County Property Tax Statement. If not prepaid, the special assessments are collected along with property taxes.

Is it a one-time payment?

A special assessment can be a single payment or spread out over a number of years.

Interest is charged on special assessments at the same rate as bonds.

Can I prepay a special assessment?

The majority of property owners prefer to pay off their assessments over time on their property tax statements. Special assessments can be prepaid, with the interest that has accrued, any time during their term without penalty. To learn the pay off amount, call (612) 673-2401.

Prepayment is made to the Minneapolis Finance Department:

Minneapolis Finance Department
250 South 4th Street, Room 230
Minneapolis, MN 55415

Pay statements are sent only by request and the taxpayer is solely responsible for obtaining said statement. Partial prepayments are not provided for.

Do I need to pay off special assessments before selling my house?

A person selling a property may prepay outstanding special assessments. This is usually negotiated between the buyer and seller, or often required by the buyer’s loan agreement. However, payment is not required at the time of sale. Special assessments left unpaid will continue to be carried on the property taxes of the new owner for the remaining term of the assessment.

Can I get a deferment if I’m unable to pay a special assessment?

According to City Council Resolutions 80R-365 and 93R-134, the City may defer the payment of special assesssments for any homestead property owned by a person 65 years or older or retired due to a permanenant and total disability for whom it would be a hardship to make the payments.

A deferment does not reduce or do away with the amount owed. It postpones the payment. During the deferment, simple interest will accumulate on the total principal amount of the assessment at the annual average rate of interest earned by the City in previous fiscal years.

Last updated Dec 19, 2013



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-673-2157 or 612-673-2626.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 


311 call center

TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Minneapolis 14 Government TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo