Special Assessments

Contact Us

Public Works

Public Hearings for Proposed Public Works Special Assessments

How are special assessments approved?

For improvement projects, the Transportation and Public Works Committee of the Minneapolis City Council conducts public hearings to discuss the project and the proposed special assessments.

All affected property owners are notified by mail of the public hearings. The notice includes a brief description of the project, an estimate of the total cost, rules for commenting or objecting, and the right to appeal.

At the public hearing, the Committee will hear all interested persons regarding the proposed assessments and will consider all written objections and statements.

The Committee decides whether or not to recommend the proposed assessment to the City Council. It then requires a two-thirds vote by the City Council for adoption, except in respect to sidewalks, when a majority vote shall suffice.

Learn more about the Transportation & Public Works Committee.

Where can I learn about proposed assessments?

Proposed assessments are on file and open to public inspection during normal business hours at:

Special Assessment Office
309 2nd Ave S, Room 209
Minneapolis, MN 55401-2268

Minneapolis City Clerks Office
350 S 5th St, Room 304
Minneapolis, MN 55415-1382

I can’t attend the hearing. Can I send a written objection or statement?

Those unable to attend may send a written objection or statement, in time to arrive prior to the public hearing, to:

Minneapolis City Clerks Office
C/O T&PW Committee Coordinator
350 S 5th St, Room 304
Minneapolis, MN 55415-1382

Can I appeal a proposed assessment?

If the proposed assessment is adopted and a property owner is dissatisfied with the assessment against the property, the owner may appeal the assessment to the District Court.

To appeal, there must be a written Notice of Appeal served on the Mayor or City Clerk of the City of Minneapolis within 30 days after the City Council adoption of the assessment. Also, a copy of the written Notice of Appeal must be filed, accompanied by the appropriate filing fees, with the Court Administrator of Hennepin County District Court within 30 days after the adoption of the assessment and within 10 days after its service upon the Mayor or City Clerk.

Last updated Apr 23, 2014



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-673-2157 or 612-673-2626.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 


311 call center

311 TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Minneapolis 14 Government TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo