Special Assessments

Contact Us

Call 311 Call 3·1·1 for information about the City and City services.

Special Assessments

A Special Assessment is a fee collected by the City for improvements or services the City provides that benefit your property. Special assessments can be used to finance many different types of local improvements.

City ordinance also allows special assessments to be used to recover the cost of services, unpaid charges, and fines.

Which do you want to know?

Assessments for improvements to park property are handled by the Minneapolis Park Board .

Frequently asked questions – Resurfacing

What is resurfacing?

Resurfacing removes the top layer of asphalt pavement on a street and puts on a new layer of asphalt. This extends the life of the street between more expensive fixes. The asphalt pavement resurfacing is intended to last about 10 years.

Why do I have to pay an assessment for road resurfacing? Don’t my property taxes already pay for it?

In almost all cases, adjacent property owners pay only a portion of the project cost. The City pays the remaining costs by selling municipal bonds. City law requires individual assessments rather than property taxes to pay for resurfacing based on the benefit to each property. Your assessment is based on the square footage of your lot.

If you want to pay your portion in advance, contact the Public Works Transportation Planning and Design Division at 612-673-2401.

Why is the street I live on being resurfaced?

The City of Minneapolis evaluates the condition all of the City streets on an ongoing basis. It also keeps track of complaint calls and tracks where maintenance dollars are being spent. Using these factors, Public Works selects streets for resurfacing. If the street doesn’t get resurfaced now, it would likely need a more expensive and disruptive repair before long.

Why do I have to pay for resurfacing the street when it was destroyed by trucks and buses?

Regardless of the cause of the defect, adjacent property owners pay for resurfacing by law based on the benefit to the property. The Uniform Assessment Rate is higher for non-residential properties than residential.  

Will the road be closed during this work?

For safety, roadways are generally closed to through traffic during resurfacing work. Some of the busier streets may remain partially open to aid with area traffic flow. To allow the most access to homes and businesses, the City of Minneapolis does its best to finish as quickly as possible.

How long will the resurfacing work take in front of my home or business?

Resurfacing usually takes two or three days; it depends on the number of layers of asphalt going back on the roadway. The first day will be for grinding away the existing pavement. The second and possibly third days would be for each new layer of asphalt. The days may or may not be consecutive, but the City of Minneapolis does its best to finish as quickly as possible. If your street is posted no parking, there should be a nearby cross street to park on.

The City also allows private utility companies to upgrade their infrastructure before a resurfacing. Private utility companies may independently work in a project area several days or weeks ahead of the City of Minneapolis crews who perform the resurfacing of the street.*
The City affords utility companies this opportunity to avoid tearing up roads that have recently been paved.

How will I know when resurfacing on my street is going to be done?

The Public Works Department hosts community engagement meetings before starting each project and invites property owners by letter. A letter is also mailed to property owners along the project area about a week before work starts. Streets are posted “no parking” at least 24 hours before construction starts. In residential areas, a call goes out to property owners with land line telephones 24 hours before work starts.

The city also maintains information online about current street projects available here: http://www.minneapolismn.gov/cip/all/index.htm

*Private utilities maintain their own websites and may send out their own notifications independent of the City.

Will the process fix the water ponding areas in the concrete curb and gutter and / or overlay the bus pads in front of my home or business?

The answer is no. Resurfacing is designed to extend the life of the asphalt roadway only. Replacing the entire street pavement and the curb and gutter is done in a full reconstruction project.

Concrete bus pads are not overlaid with asphalt in resurfacing projects because asphalt and concrete don’t bond properly.

There is “no parking” posted on my street and nobody is working. What is going on?

First check the name and phone number at the bottom of the sign; they are often placed by private contractors. Please contact the Traffic and Parking Services division of Public Works, at 612-673-2383, between 8 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. and ask them for any information about what work may be planned for your street.

 My yard was damaged during the resurfacing project. When is it going to get fixed?

City resurfacing work is confined to the asphalt portion of the roadway. If your yard or sidewalk was damaged, it was likely the result of private utility work that took place before the resurfacing project. Contact the private utility company directly about any restoration work or damage claims you may have.

Will my solid waste and recycling be picked up while the City is resurfacing the street?

If your solid waste and recycling are picked up by the City of Minneapolis, you should have special instructions (if necessary) provided by the City’s Solid Waste and Recycling division.

If your solid waste and recycling are picked up by a private contractor, it will be your responsibility to coordinate alternate pickup times with your contractor.

I am going to be out of town for the weekend and my car is parked on the street. Is my street going to be posted “no parking” while I am gone?

If you know that a resurfacing project is scheduled for your area, it is a good idea to move your vehicle off the street while you are away from home. Resurfacing projects are subject to a variety of delays, and catch up work often takes place on weekends.

I take the bus to work and my street is closed for resurfacing. What do I do?

Metro Transit posts alternate stop locations as needed. Contact Metro Transit directly if you have questions.

Last updated Dec 30, 2014



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-673-2157 or 612-673-2626.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 


311 call center

311 TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Minneapolis 14 Government TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo