City Assessor's Office

City of Lakes Building
309 2nd Avenue South, Room 100
Minneapolis, MN 55401
Call 311 or (612) 673-3000
Fax (612) 673-3538

Office Hours:
8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Monday – Friday

Tax Reduction Programs and
Tax Deferral Programs

There are programs and tax credits to give relief to taxpayers who face a significant increase in their taxes or have a level of property tax that is disproportionate to their income. More information is available by calling the MN Department of Revenue (651) 296-4444, visiting MN Department of Revenue website , or reading below.

What is an Income Adjusted Homestead Credit?
What is Targeting?

What is the Senior Citizen Property Tax Deferral program?

How does the Senior Citizen Property Tax Deferral program work?

Who may be eligible for the Senior Citizen Property Tax Deferral Program?

How do I apply for Senior Citizen Property Tax Deferral?

What is Disaster Credit?

How do I apply for the disaster credit?

What is an Income Adjusted Homestead Credit?

The purpose of the "Income Adjusted Homestead Credit" is to ensure that taxes do not become disproportionate with a person's income. There are a number of requirements for this program. The 2001 Legislature, in conjunction with comprehensive property tax changes, increased the maximum refund for this program to $1,700. There is an income threshold for the program; your total household income for 2006 must be less than $91,120.

What is Targeting?

A second program is "Targeting" which provides a refund if taxes increase above 12% and the increase is at least $100 from the prior year. Most Minneapolis homeowners qualify for a refund under this program.

What is the Senior Citizen Property Tax Deferral program?

The basic requirements are that one owner must be 65 years of age or older and have a household income less than $60,000. This is a deferral of tax, not a reduction. The taxes accumulate along with interest at a rate not to exceed 5% and a lien is attached to the property.

This is only a brief introduction to the Senior Citizens Property Tax Deferral program. For an application and answers to specific questions, call the Property Tax Division of the Minnesota Department of Revenue at: (651) 556-6091 or 1-800-627-9094, extension 6-6109, TDD/TTY users: call the Minnesota Relay Service at 1-800-627-3529; ask for 800-652-9094, extension 6-0335

How does the Senior Citizen Property Tax Deferral program work?

This is not a tax forgiveness program –- it is a loan from the state. The deferred tax is paid by the state to your county. Interest will be charged on this loan. The interest rate will be adjusted annually, but will not exceed 5 percent.

While in this program, you will pay no more than 3 percent of your household income toward your property taxes each year, no matter how high your property taxes actually are. The state will pay the rest. You, or your heirs, will need to repay the deferred amount before you can transfer title of the property.

As part of your initial tax deferral application, you will need to provide -- at your expense –- a report detailing any mortgages, liens, judgments, or unpaid property taxes on the property. If there are none, you will still need to provide a report confirming this fact. The report must be dated within 30 days of your application.

Participation in this tax deferral program is voluntary. If you participate, a tax lien will be placed on your property. This lien must be satisfied before you can sell your property. In the event of your death, your heirs must satisfy the lien before they can acquire clear title. You may want to consult with an attorney, an estate planner, or a family member before enrolling.

Who may be eligible for the Senior Citizen Property Tax Deferral Program?

In order to qualify for this program, all of the following conditions must be met:

How do I apply for Senior Citizen Property Tax Deferral?

Applications can be found only at the Minnesota Department of Revenue's website. All applications must be made by July 1 to defer a portion of the following year’s tax. You may apply in the year in which you become 65 years old, but no deferral will be allowed until the following year.

What is Disaster Credit?

This form of credit is granted to properties that have been accidentally or unintentionally damaged. The damage must be greater than 50% or more of the market value and the property must be uninhabitable or unusable. The owner of a homestead or non-homestead property can apply for a reduction in the amount of property taxes payable for the year in which the destruction occurs.

The amount of the reduction is calculated using the number of whole months that the property is uninhabitable or unusable. Then the amount of value attributable to the structure is multiplied by the net tax. Finally, the fraction (number of whole months the property is uninhabitable divided by 12) is then multiplied by the result.

For example: A home with an estimated market value of $100,000 and a net tax of $3,000 is damaged by fire on July 10, 2006 and becomes habitable on November 7, 2006. The structure value is $75,000 and produces a ratio of 75%. This is multiplied by the net tax of $3,000. Therefore, $2,250 of the tax is attributable to the structure. This dollar amount multiplied by the fraction of 3/12, which is the number of whole months that the taxpayer was unable to occupy the property, gives the homeowner, a $562.50 credit.

How do I apply for the disaster credit?

First, call the City of Minneapolis Assessors Office to alert them of the structural damage. In order to process Hennepin County's Individual Disaster Credit, you must complete an application and return it to the Minneapolis Assessor’s office. This should be done as soon as practical after the damage has occurred.

Additionally, it is necessary to have a copy of your insurance company’s damage report when it becomes available.

Finally, you will need to contact the City of Minneapolis Assessor’s Office when work is completed that makes the property habitable or when the property is sold.


Last updated Aug 10, 2018



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-673-2157 or 612-673-2626.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 

Salary Compliance Notice:
State statute 471.701; Notice of Salary Compliance, requires that the City post for not less than 90 days
the job title of the three highest paid employees along with their base salary. For 2018 these were:
1. City Attorney, $186,490
2. Assistant City Coordinator Convention Center, $183,600
3. Director Public Works, $181,191


311 call center

311 TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Watch Minneapolis City Council TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo