Bicycle Rack Cost Share Program
Installing bike racks is a great way to encourage employees and clients to bike to your business. Here are some reasons why:
- Physically active employees have lower health care costs.
- Encouraging employees to commute by bike lowers parking costs, particularly for employers who subsidize parking.
- Bike racks increase the accessibility of your location and widen your potential customer base.
- Bikes parked "informally" along signposts, hand railings and fences appear disorganized, and can block entrances/exits and other spaces where people need to walk. Installing bike racks funnels bikes toward parking where you want them to be, and can improve the appearance .
- Adding bicycle racks is a simple yet visible statement of commitment to sustaining the environment and encouraging healthy behavior.
Own a business, non-profit, apartment complex, or other private building? The City of Minneapolis operates a program to install public bicycle racks at private enterprises throughout the city. The program involves a 50/50 cost share at eligible locations. In addition, funds are available to install bike racks free of charge for public facilities such as schools, libraries and parks.
Please contact Paul Cao at (612) 673-2943 or email Paul.Cao@minneapolismn.gov for more information about installing municipal bike racks at your location.
Last updated Dec. 17, 2013