U of M Protected Bikeways
- 18th Avenue SE: E Hennepin Avenue to Como Avenue SE
- Rollins Avenue SE: 15th Avenue SE to 18th Avenue SE
- 15th Avenue SE: Rollins Avenue SE to University Avenue SE
- 10th Avenue SE/19th Avenue S: 5th Street SE to Riverside Avenue S
- 4th Street: 19th Avenue S to 20th Avenue S
- 20th Avenue S: 4th Street S to Minnehaha Avenue S
- April-July 2017: Community engagement and preliminary design
- August 2017: Seek City Council approval for layout
- 2018: Detailed design
- Construction: Summer 2019
Duration of Construction: TBD
Traffic Impact: TBD
In 2019, Minneapolis Public Works is proposing to install 2.6 miles of protected bikeways connecting the University of Minnesota and the surrounding neighborhoods of Como, Marcy Holmes, and Cedar Riverside. Between 400 and 4,000 people currently bike along this corridor each day, making it the highest demand area for bicycling in the city. The project aims to improve many existing bike lanes and complete important gaps in city’s bikeway network.
What is a protected bikeway?
Not everyone feels comfortable and safe riding on a busy street, even with a regular bike lane. A protected bikeway creates a more comfortable space to ride that is physically separated from motor vehicle traffic. A separated facility can attract a wider demographic of riders and the City sees protected bikeways as an important tool to increase bicycling in Minneapolis.
Most of this project is proposed to include a protected bikeway design with short segments of bike boulevard, trail, and conventional bike lanes.
- Enhance safety and predictability for all users
- Support active transportation options around the U of M
- Improve existing bicycle connections to better accommodate existing bicycle demand and encourage more bicycle use
- Complete the NE Diagonal Trail/18th Avenue SE bikeway gap
Parking Changes are Proposed
To install a dedicated bikeway, existing on-street parking must be removed on three blocks in the Como neighborhood:
- East and west side of 18th Ave SE (E Hennepin Ave to Como Ave SE)
- North side of Rollins Ave SE (15th Ave SE to 17th Ave SE)
Public Works is in the process of gathering feedback on the proposed changes and understanding what alternative on-street or off-street parking options exist for adjacent residents.
Project Fact Sheet - Updated April 19, 2017
Minneapolis Bicycle Advisory Committee
April 18, 2017, 4:00 p.m.
Colonial Warehouse Building, 212 3rd Avenue N, Suite 404
Marcy Holmes Neighborhood Association
April 18, 2017, 6:30 p.m.
Pillsbury A-Mill, 315 Main Street SE
Minneapolis Pedestrian Advisory Committee
April 20, 2017, 4:30 p.m.
Minneapolis City Hall, Room 212
Southeast Como Improvement Association
April 20, 2017, 6:30 p.m.
Van Cleve Park Recreation Center
Future updates will be posted here.
Simon Blenski, Project Planner, 612-673-5012 or email@example.com
Adam Hayow, Project Planner, 612-673-21724 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Last updated Apr 21, 2017