Minneapolis Arts Commission Vacancies
The Arts Commission was created by ordinance 951.010 in 1974 to foster the development of the arts, to seek financial support for the arts, to advise the City Council on arts-related matters and to stimulate participation in and appreciation of the arts by all Minneapolis residents.
Deadline: For receiving application will be Friday, October 20, 2017.
There are currently 4 vacancies:
- Seat 2: Council appointment for an unfulfilled 3-year term beginning Jan 1, 2016, and ending Dec 31, 2018; applicant must be an individual practicing artist.
- Seat 10: Mayor appointment for an unfulfilled 4-year term beginning Jan 1, 2017, and ending Dec 31, 2020; applicant must be an art lay person.
- Seat 14: Council appointment for an unfulfilled 3-year term beginning Jan 1, 2016, and ending Dec 31, 2018; applicants must be an administrative staff or board member of an arts organization.
- Seat 17: Council appointment for an unfulfilled 3-year term beginning Jan 1, 2017, and ending Dec 31, 2019; applicants must be an administrative staff or board member of an arts organization.
Applicants must fall under one of the following categories:
- Administrative staff or board member of an arts organization
- lay person
Individuals should indicate on their application which category they would like to be considered for appointment. Members of the Arts Commission must be residents or property tax payers of Minneapolis. The City’s open appointments ordinance lists conditions for waiving the residency requirement.
Send completed forms to firstname.lastname@example.org, or by fax: 612-673-3812, or:
City Clerk Appointments
Room 304, 350 South Fifth Street
Minneapolis, MN 55415-1382
You can apply on your own behalf, nominate others for consideration, or inform the City Clerk's Office of someone to whom you'd like application materials to be sent.
Commission Contact: Tina Beech, 612-673-3242 Tina.Beech@minneapolismn.gov
City Clerk Contact: 612-673-2216 email@example.com
Applications are forwarded from the City Clerk to the City Council President for their consideration. Applications are forwarded to the chair of Zoning and Planning for recommendation to the full City Council. The Arts Commission also reviews applications and makes recommendations based on the following criteria:
- Is a leader or decision-maker within the arts community or the community at large; represents or works with key constituents; and is able to communicate with that group of constituents regarding City policy and gather input from those constituents as needed.
- Has a vision for the arts for the City and a vision that is consistent with the Commission's and City's goals.
- Has strong communication skills and is willing to be available to talk with community leaders, city council, art administrators, etc.
- Can make the necessary time commitment (see below).
- The composition of the Arts Commission should reflect the demographic composition of the city.
- Additional consideration is given to equitable ward distribution, experience in the arts, and connections with the community, ethnic diversity and representation from a range of artistic disciplines.
Duties of Commissioners require eight to ten hours per month, one Commission meeting per month, at 5:30 p.m. on the third Wednesday of each month. Participation in at least one standing committee is required.
Attendance: Any member who has more than three consecutive unexcused absences in any calendar year will be replaced.
The Commission’s attendance policy governing both monthly meetings and committee meetings must also be observed. Note: There is no compensation. The Commission meeting locations are accessible to persons who are disabled.
Should you require a reasonable accommodation in order to fully participate, or information in an alternative format, please contact the Office of City Clerk at 612-673-2216 or firstname.lastname@example.org. People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000. TTY users call 612-673-2157. Para asistencia 612-673-2700 - Rau kev pab 612-673-2800 - Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500.
Last updated Aug 23, 2017