Homegrown Minneapolis Food Council Vacancies
The Homegrown Minneapolis Food Council (HMFC) was created by 2011R-445 and amended by Resolution 2011R-633, 09/02/2011 and by Resolution 2015R-092, 02/27/2015. Homegrown Minneapolis is a citywide initiative expanding our community’s ability to grow, process, distribute, eat and compost more healthy, sustainable, locally grown foods. The HMFC is striving for diverse and balanced representation and will make every effort to ensure that the concerns represented and addressed reflect the diverse viewpoints and interests of the Minneapolis community as a whole.
The purpose of the HMFC is to:
The purpose of the HMFC is to:
- Develop innovative policies and strategies to improve the growing, processing, promotion, distribution, consumption and composting of healthy, sustainable, locally grown foods in Minneapolis.
- Advise the Mayor, City Council, and Park Board on food system related opportunities and challenges;
- Advance the food system in directions that are health promoting, environmentally sustainable, local, resilient, inclusive, equitable, fair and transparent;
- Assist in development, implementation, and evaluation of Homegrown Minneapolis recommendations; and, where necessary, convene additional expertise to innovate around challenges;
- Provide technical expertise and recommendations in the ongoing development of the City’s Local Food sustainability targets;
- Support, participate and provide leadership in development of regional food system work; and
- Assist with opportunities to celebrate food and its role in strengthening the connections of Minneapolis’ many communities and cultures.
- For further information go to http:/www.minneapolismn.gov/sustainability/homegrown
Deadline: To receive application will be Friday, October 20, 2017.
There are currently (15) community vacancies to be appointed by the City of Minneapolis, (1) community vacancy to be appointed by MPS and (1) community vacancy to be appointed by MPRB. It is a two-year commitment and members may serve up to 3 consecutive terms, Terms beginning January 1, 2018, and ending December 31, 2019.
Note: Vacancies may have incumbents seeking re-appointment.
Send completed forms to [email protected], or by fax: 612-673-3812, or:
City Clerk Appointments
Room 304, 350 South Fifth Street
Minneapolis, MN 55415-1382
You can apply on your own behalf, nominate others for consideration, or inform the City Clerk's Office of someone to whom you'd like application materials to be sent.
Requirements: Applicants must live or work in the City of Minneapolis.
Committee Contact: Tamara Downs Schwei, 612-673-3553, [email protected]
City Clerk’s Office, 612-673-2216, or email [email protected]
Applications will be reviewed by the Health, Environment and Community Engagement Committee for recommendation to the full City Council.
Meetings are currently held monthly on the second Wednesday of the month from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Per the bylaws, the new Food Council will determine the meeting date and time. Members are expected to attend monthly meetings and actively participate in Food Council meetings, working groups, and activities. For more information about the activities of the Homegrown Food Council, call Tamara Downs Schwei at 612-673-3553. There is no compensation for attending the meetings. The meeting locations will be accessible to persons with disabilities.
The committee shall have up to 25 voting members composed of 15 community members, 7 appointed by the Mayor and 8 appointed by the City Council. Additionally, 6 City staff will sit on the body and the remaining 4 members will include: one Minneapolis Park & Recreation Board (MPRB) staff representative, one community members appointed by MPRB, one Minneapolis Public Schools (MPS) staff representative and one community member appointed by MPS.
Should you require a reasonable accommodation in order to fully participate, or information in an alternative format, please contact the Office of City Clerk at 612-673-2216 or [email protected]. People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000. TTY users call 612-673-2157.
Para asistencia 612-673-2700 - Rau kev pab 612-673-2800 - Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500.
Last updated Jan 11, 2018