B-TAP (Business Technical Assistance Program)
What is B-TAP, how does it work, and who is eligible to receive the services?
- The Business Technical Assistance Program or B-TAP program was created to provide consulting support to businesses located in the City of Minneapolis.
- Through B-TAP, the City contracts with local non-profit organizations focused on entrepreneur training and economic development to provide direct services to new and existing businesses.
- Small- and medium-sized businesses located in Minneapolis.
What kind of services can small-and medium-sized businesses receive?
B-TAP can assist entrepreneurs who are:
- Considering starting a new business in Minneapolis,
- Looking to expand business operations in Minneapolis,
- Pursuing certification as a Minority- or Woman- Owned Disadvantaged Business,
- Need general business advice (i.e. guidance on payroll withholding, ensuring their business licenses are in order, creation or improving their business marketing strategy) to retain their existing business operations in Minneapolis.
How can businesses access the services?
The City contracts with service providers, several of which specialize in serving particular ethnic groups or geographic areas.
Minneapolis businesses interested in receiving services can contact the service provider of their choice directly. Details about services provided and contact information for each organization listed is provided below. City staff may also provide guidance on which organization to contact. View the B-TAP brochure.
Questions? Contact Us! Business Technical Assistance Program (B-TAP), (612) 673-5095, [email protected]
Videos: Navigating City Business Processes
The City is dedicated to help businesses start, stay and grow in Minneapolis. Discover the resources to help your business thrive.
An overview of the resources available to support businesses including technical assistance, loans, site selection support, and more.
Learn which businesses need a license, how to apply, and renew your business license.
Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE) Certification and Inclusion
Learn about the certification process.
Understanding Development Review
The Development Review Process
Healthy Food Businesses
Best practices for Minneapolis’ food-oriented businesses.
Doing Business with the City of Minneapolis
How to find business opportunities, and register a business to become a bidder.
SizeUp: Small Business Intelligence Tool
The City of Minneapolis has subscribed to SizeUp, a small business intelligence tool, to help small businesses in Minneapolis make strategic decisions. Help manage and grow your business by comparing your business to competitors; mapping your market, customers, and suppliers; and finding the best places to target your next advertising campaign.
B-TAP provides specific services to respond to Minneapolis business needs more efficiently. View a list of current trainings opportunities (PDF).
- The B-TAP+ offers a 101 Series training for businesses, City staff and non-profits participants to navigate the City departments and learn of its interaction with businesses.
- The Cooperative Technical Assistance Program (C-TAP) focuses on interested individuals and groups in forming co-ops.
- The Small Developers Technical Assistance Program (D-TAP) include training for participants to learn the basics of real estate development, along with opportunities to work with City of Minneapolis properties.
- The Energy Technical Assistance Program (E-TAP) helps business owners reduce their energy needs and utility costs by performing energy assessments and creating and implementing an action plan (coming July/August 2018!)
- The B-TAP Professional Series sponsors a series of events in 2018 where local professional experts provide training or technical assistance on a variety of topics.
- Materials from past events and trainings.
B-TAP Service Providers
Last updated Apr 9, 2019