Certificate of Occupancy
The Minnesota State Building Code 1300.0220 requires that new buildings and existing buildings that have the occupancy classification changed must obtain a Certificate of Occupancy before the building can be occupied and used.
A certificate of occupancy is valid for the life of the building or until the building use/occupancy changes. A certificate of occupancy inspection must be performed in order to approve the issuance of the certificate. There is no fee for a certificate of occupancy inspection. Penalty fees may apply if re-inspection is necessary.
To schedule a Certificate of Occupancy inspection, please fill out and submit the form below.
How to Schedule the Certificate of Occupancy Inspection
Please contact the City 20 business days before the date you wish to occupy the building to allow for scheduling of all necessary inspectors and to allow for re-inspections if necessary.
To schedule a Certificate of Occupancy inspection, please complete the Request for Final Inspection form below.
Once received, the City of Minneapolis' staff will attempt to accommodate the requested inspection date, which is subject to inspector availability.
Fire and life-safety systems and elevators must be pre-tested prior to the certificate inspection.
All electrical work performed under a state electrical permit will need a state inspection and approval. Contact the electrical inspector directly or visit the Department of Labor and Industry website for information about how to schedule the inspection.
What to Expect
- The authorized representative and any sub-contractors must meet the City of Minneapolis inspectors at the site.
- The city approved drawings must be on site and available to the inspectors.
- The inspectors will provide the authorized representative or sub-contractor with any correction orders (if needed).
- Corrections must be completed and re-inspected before issuance of a certificate can be authorized.
- Additional fees may apply if re-inspection of any work is required after the initial certificate inspection.
Submit Request for Final Inspection
Minneapolis Certificate of Occupancy
Public Service Center
250 South 4th Street, Room 300
Minneapolis, MN 55415
Email: [email protected]
Last updated Aug 8, 2018