Trunk Highway 35W Downtown to Crosstown Reconstruction
Portions of 35W from Downtown to Crosstown in Minneapolis are being reconstructed and improved in stages between 2017 and 2021. See what is being done where in MnDOT's detailed project map:
Find more information about this project at MnDOT's 35W&94: Downtown to Crosstown Project Page.
City of Minneapolis Updates
December 23, 2017 Update:
Construction activity on the [email protected] Project continues, with the significant portion of the work happening along both 4th Ave. S. and 5th Ave. S. just south of the freeway commons, as well as at the Portland and Franklin Ave. bridge sites.
The following is a short summary of current construction activities:
- 5th Ave. S. – Sanitary sewer placement just south of Franklin Ave S is now complete, new watermain placement on 5th Ave S between Franklin Ave and 22th St E is currently progressing. Utility work is anticipated to be completed by December 31, 2017.
- 4th Ave. S. – Watermain tunneling operation under 35W to receiving pit at the intersection of 5th Ave S. and 19th St E. Water main work in this area is anticipated to continue through early February.
Franklin Bridge – Construction continues for Pier 1‐2‐3 and East & West Abutments.
(Estimated Bridge Opening June 2018)
Upcoming Night Time Lane Closures
- Trunk Hwy 94 EB – 12/19/17 – Removal of temporary barriers
- Trunk Hwy 65 EB – 1/4/17 – Removal of last sheet piles for Pier #2 (Franklin Bridge)
Roadway Closures and Upcoming Traffic Movements for this week:
- 5th Ave. S between E. 22nd St. and E. 19th St. is closed as crews continue new water main and services.
- 4th Ave. S between Franklin Ave. and E. 18th St. is closed as the contractor continues new watermain tunneling work.
- The ramp from 5th Ave. S to northbound I‐35W and eastbound I‐94 is closed. Access to eastbound I‐94 will reopen in 2018. Access to northbound I‐35W remains closed through 2021.
Archive of Updates
Last updated Dec 22, 2017