Trunk Highway 35W Downtown to Crosstown Reconstruction
Portions of 35W from Downtown to Crosstown in Minneapolis are being reconstructed and improved in stages between 2017 and 2021. See what is being done where in MnDOT's detailed project map:
Find more information about this project at MnDOT's 35W&94: Downtown to Crosstown Project Page.
City of Minneapolis Updates
Construction Update for week ending May 5, 2018:
Construction activity on the [email protected] Project continues, with the significant portion of the work happening along both 4th Ave. S. and 5th Ave. S. just south of the freeway commons, as well as the Franklin Avenue and 38th Street bridge sites.
The following is a short summary of current construction activities:
- 4th & 5th Ave S / E 19th St – Backfilling watermain tunnel pit adjacent to the thrust block.
- 4th Ave S – Currently excavating for new sanitary sewer work just west of the Franklin Ave Bridge and working north towards E 18th St
- Franklin Bridge – Bridge Deck was placed 4/30-5/1. Crews are currently working on the east approach panel. (Estimated Bridge Opening June 15, 2018)
- 38th Street Bridge between 1st and 3rd Avenues over TH 35W – Closed on March 2, 2018. Currently forming bridge deck in preparation for rebar placement. (Estimated 150 calendar days for closure; Estimated Bridge Opening Early August)
Existing Roadway Closures and Upcoming Traffic Movements for this week:
- 5th Ave. S between E. 22nd St. and E. 19th St. is closed as crews continue new water main work at the tunnel pit.
- 4th Ave. S between Electric Fetus and just north of E 19th St is closed as the contractor will continue new Sewer, Watermain and future retaining wall work.
- The ramp from 5th Ave. S to northbound I‐35W and eastbound I‐94 is closed. Access to eastbound I‐94 will reopen in 2018. Access to northbound I‐35W remains closed through 2021.
- Franklin Avenue (between 4th Ave and 5th Ave)
- 38th Street (between 1st Ave and 3rd Ave)
- 36th Street Entrance Ramp to 35W Southbound – full closure 3/2/18 through Fall of 2021.
- 11th Street ramp closure from WB 94 & TH 65 – full closure 4/23/18 – duration 60 calendar days
Upcoming Night Work and Weekend Closures:
- Portland Avenue, 5/4/18-5/7/18 (7 p.m.-5 p.m.) Restriping for Phase II Bus Tour – tentative depending on weather; detour during closure will be Chicago Ave.
Future Traffic Movements:
- 12th Street to SB 35W Ramp will be restricted to HOV and Bus Traffic while retaining wall work is being completed at that area. Began May 5 – continuing to the start of Stage 2 (mid-June)
- (New) 4th Ave N – Full Closure from 12th St to 14th St; began May 5 – continuing to the start of Stage 2 (mid-June).
- (New) 39th St at Stevens/2nd – roadway removals for sewer work starting at 39th and Stevens; tentatively scheduled for 5/10/18.
- 35W Stage I to Stage II switch - tentatively scheduled for June 15th
Archive of Updates
Last updated May 17, 2018