Department of Civil Rights

Velma J. Korbel, Director

350 S. 5th St., Room 239
Minneapolis, MN 55415

Phone: (612) 673-3012
Fax: (612) 673-2599
TTY: (612) 673-2157

Office Hours:
8:30 a.m.–4:30 p.m.
Monday – Friday

Minneapolis Proposed Ban on "Conversion Therapy"

As a result of the City of Minneapolis Public Health Emergency Declaration on March 16th, 2020, the Department of Civil Rights is operating in a modified capacity and will be unable to hold in-person intakes, filings, or meetings.  Please utilize our website to file complaints or inquiries.  Additionally, you can file a complaint or inquiry by contacting Minneapolis 311. 
Phone: 311 (within city of Minneapolis) -or- (612) 673-3000
Text: 311TXT or 311898 to start your text
E-Mail: [email protected]
Staff are still available as usual during business hours and will respond to e-mails and voicemails per usual.

The City of Minneapolis has proposed a new ordinance that would ban the dangerous and disproven practice of "conversion therapy."

What is "conversion therapy?"

Often referred to as “reparative therapy,” “ex-gay therapy,” or “sexual orientation change efforts,” conversion therapy includes a range of dangerous and discredited practices aimed at changing a person’s sexual orientation or efforts to change a person’s gender identity or expression. 

What would this ordinance do? 

This ordinance would make it unlawful for any provider to provide conversion therapy or reparative therapy to a minor.

We invite you to review the full text of the ordinance and related ordinance amendments on the city's website. You will find a complete list of definitions, as well as details about the enforcement and purpose of the ordinance. 

How do we define "provider?"

A provider is any individual who is licensed, certified, or registered under the laws of the State of Minnesota, including mental health practitioners and mental health professionals as defined in Minnesota Statutes, Section 245.462, to provide mental health services. Providers include, but are not limited to, physicians specializing in the practice of psychiatry, psychologists, marriage and family therapists, social workers, clinical counselors, behavioral clinicians or therapists, nurses, or any other persons offering such mental health services. A provider does not include members of the clergy who are acting in their roles as clergy or pastoral counselors and providing religious counseling to congregants.

How could someone report a violation of this ordinance? 

The Complaint Investigations Division (CID) housed in the Civil Rights Department would be responsible for enforcing the ordinance. An alleged violation could be submitted to CID either online, in-person, or by phone. 

Where can I get more information about the proposed ban on "conversion therapy?" 

To learn more about "conversion therapy" and the proposed ordinance, please review the following online resources:

Additional questions? Please contact [email protected]



Last updated Mar 18, 2020



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-263-6850.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 

Civil Rights  ©1997-2020 City of Minneapolis, MN


311 call center

311 TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Watch Minneapolis City Council TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo