“Executive oversight” refers to the formal review and evaluation of government activities with respect to performance, strategic alignment, policy implementation, and service delivery. Oversight activities contribute to a full assessment of the effectiveness of existing services and programs, and can also contribute to the creation of new services and programs. The Council’s standing committees—each exercising jurisdiction over a specific sphere of municipal policy—undertake a continuous evaluation to assure that all services and programs serve their established purposes, comply with pertinent laws and regulations, and remain within budgetary targets.
As an outgrowth of this work, the Council and its standing committees contribute to a number of important objectives, including:
- Improving the efficiency, economy, and effectiveness of government operations;
- Checking the administration by monitoring and evaluating the performance of departments and divisions and ensuring compliance with original legislative or policy intent;
- Reviewing policy proposals affecting the services and programs of city government;
- Providing for public involvement in official decision-making processes; and
- Conducting studies or undertaking investigations in the best interests of the community.
Last updated Aug 22, 2017