4146 Fremont Ave N
Request for Proposal Information
The City of Minneapolis sought redevelopment proposals for two commercial buildings located at 4146 Fremont Ave N in the Webber-Camden neighborhood of North Minneapolis. The buildings contain approximately 7,000 square feet of ground-floor commercial space. One of the buildings includes a second floor with 4 vacant apartment units totaling approximately 2,500 square feet. The development goals for the site include revitalizing the vacant storefronts and providing retail goods and services to the community that will support the commercial and residential activity near the 42nd & Fremont intersection.
The Minneapolis City Council on June 16, 2017 granted exclusive development rights to Ideal Development Group. In May 2018, the Minneapolis City Council provided an extension of development rights to Ideal Development Group, to May 15, 2019.
The staff recommendations were based on the extent to which the proposals met the evaluation criteria, including specific development objectives, listed in the November 2016 RFP. Staff also considered public feedback received throughout the RFP process, including feedback received at an April 12 open house held at the Webber Community Center. Below is a summary of the proposals presented at the open house:
- Ideal Development Group (pdf)
- JB Vang Partners (pdf)
- Real Cooks Kitchen (pdf)
- Urban Enterprises/Webber Camden Business Initiative (pdf)
Please see the links below for a summary of the proposals received and the RFP materials:
- Summary of proposals received in response to the RFP (pdf)
- Request for Proposals document
- Exhibit A: Pro Forma Template
- Exhibit B: Consent for Release of Response Data
- Exhibit C: City Contracting Requirements
- RFP Question and Answers (pdf)
The City of Minneapolis, working through its Department of Community Planning and Economic Development (CPED), seeks to reactivate these two buildings located at an important intersection in the Webber-Camden neighborhood of Minneapolis. The City of Minneapolis acquired the property out of tax forfeiture in 2015. The redevelopment opportunity consists of two buildings: 4140 to 4146 Fremont Ave North. The northernmost building includes two commercial storefronts on the ground floor and four apartment units on the second floor (which could also be converted to offices). The southernmost building consists of two commercial storefronts on the ground floor.
The buildings are in fair to poor condition and will require significant rehab. Attached is a Property Condition Report which identifies several items that need immediate attention. In addition to the items identified in the Property Condition Report other costs to be considered include improvements related to: ADA compliance, fire suppression system (building is not sprinkled), tenant improvements, etc. Specific building code requirements will depend on the ultimate reuse of the buildings. The City is not interested in proposals that include demolishing these buildings.
Additional Property Information
- Address: 4140, 4142, 4144 , 4146 Fremont Ave N, Minneapolis MN, 55412
- Lot Size: 0.29 acres
- Ground-floor retail: 7,000 sq. ft.
- Second story (office or apartments): 2,500 sq. ft.
- Basement (storage): 5,200 sq. ft.
- All spaces are vacant, renovation needed
- Zoning: C1, Neighborhood Commercial
- Year built: c. 1926
- Located directly on high-frequency bus route
- Parking: rear lot
- Price: TBD
- Property Condition Report (Liesch Associates) (pdf)
- Phase I Environmental Site Assessment (Landmark Environmental, LLC) (pdf)
- Hazardous Materials Survey (Parks Environmental Consulting, Inc.) (pdf)
- Supplemental Hazardous Materials Survey (Liesch Associates) (pdf)
- Lead Assessment (Vieau Associates, LLC) (pdf)
- Structural Report (Collaborative DesignGroup, inc.) (pdf)
- CPED marketing brochure
Go to Hoodstarter.com – Share Your Ideas for This Project
“Hoodstarter uses the power of the crowd to help fill vacant properties faster and with businesses that will last. With Hoodstarter, community members are given the chance to
suggest what should move in to vacant spaces”
Go to Hoodstarter.com and post ideas of what you would like to see in this space.
For project updates or general questions please contact Beth Grosen, 612-673-5002.
Last updated Aug 1, 2019