Community Planning & Economic Development
Fulfilling a Dream
(L to R): Aster Nebro's late husband, Kirk Washington Jr.; Aster and family outside of her home; Aster's two daughters and their friend pose for prom photos out in their yard.
The City’s Minneapolis Homes program has a goal of reducing racial disparities in home ownership through product and program offerings; stabilizing current residents is one aspect of achieving that goal. Aster Nebro, an immigrant from Ethiopia, is a City of Minneapolis employee and resident of North Minneapolis. Aster purchased her home in the Harrison Neighborhood (where she serves on the Harrison Neighborhood Association Board) using the City’s down payment assistance program, Homeownership Opportunity Minneapolis (HOM).
Aster is an advocate and community leader just like her late husband Kirk Washington Jr. – a local artist, advocate and leader – who died in a car accident in 2016, leaving Aster a single mother of two high school girls. As one of the 12 poets who contributed to the poem, One Minneapolis: A City in Verse, Kirk writes, “I speak the gospel of the Northside, with the rage of lovers…and perceive in my dreams.…a unified breath that electrocutes fear and misunderstanding... to remain apathetic is assured enslavement so... precisely, what is a dream.” For Aster and her family, owning a home was the answer in fulfilling a dream.
Aster notes, “the longer you stay in the home, the more wealth you build. I have more security for my children and wanted to give them an asset; a house was the answer.” Aster is thankful for the help she received from City staff and non-profit partners in purchasing the home of her choice on the Northside; “I feel more settled now, I do not have to move around. The girls can do whatever because it’s their home.”
Latest CPED News and Events
- 2019 Teen Job and Opportunity Fair
- Nominations Sought for 2019 Minneapolis Preservation Awards, 1/17/19 (PDF)
- City of Minneapolis Receives Gold Award of Excellence in Economic Development from the International Economic Development Council, 10/25/18 (PDF)
- Discover Minneapolis Manufacturing! Tour H&B Elevators and Unison Comfort Technologies, 10/1/2018 (PDF)
- Discover a New Career at the Northside Community Job and Resource Fair, 9/14/18 (PDF)
- Energy Business Technical Assistance Program (E-TAP) Offers Small Businesses Energy Cost-Saving Resources, 9/13/18 (PDF)
Last updated Jun 17, 2019