STEP-UP Intern Information
Apply for STEP-UP
The STEP-UP application deadline for summer 2015 has passed. Please consider applying next year. The application link will be available in December 2015.
STEP-UP is a summer jobs program for Minneapolis youth, ages 14-21.
After STEP-UP interns complete training, they are eligible to work for pay at Minneapolis businesses and nonprofit organizations to gain job experience, explore career interests, and build professional skills.
To be eligible, youth must:
- live in Minneapolis,
- be 14-21 years old on June 1, 2015
- not be currently enrolled in college (PSEO is okay). Current college students may consider the Urban Scholars Program.
- meet certain income guidelines (see below), or have a substantial barrier to employment including students with IEPs, English language learners, or pregnant and parenting teens. If you are unsure if you qualify, please apply.
- applicants must be eligible to work in the US (by June 1, 2015) and have proper documentation
Students will be advised of their STEP-UP application status through mail and email in early March.
Training for accepted applicants will take place in March or April.
Check your email at least once a week for important information about acceptance and training.
STEP-UP using the following chart as a GUIDELINE to determine if a student is eligible for our program. It is a guideline only. If you are unsure if you qualify, please apply.
Family Size 1 Person 2 Person 3 Person 4 Person 5 Person 6 Person 7 Person 8 Person Total Household In-come $ 44,750 $ 51,150 $ 57,550 $ 63,900 $ 69,050 $ 74,150 $ 79,250 $ 84,350
Total Household In-come
*Source: U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, FY 2014 Income Limits Documentation System for the Minneapolis-St. Paul-Bloomington, MN-WI MSA area. Low (80%) Income Limits
What to Expect
STEP-UP Program Timeline
- December 15, 2014 – Online application available for youth to apply for STEP-UP
- February 18, 2015 – Youth application closed, last day to apply for STEP-UP
- March/April 2015 – Work Readiness Training
- May/June – Intake and Placement
- June 15th – first day of work for most interns
- August 14th – last day of work for most interns
- Provides opportunities to explore careers and gain the work skills, job experience, social capital and confidence necessary to help achieve their education and professional goals
- Builds 21st Century skills in communications, collaboration and problem-solving for today’s professional environment
- Develops a network of caring adult professionals to support career and post-secondary goals
- Offers career laddering opportunities—including advanced level internships and industry-specific trainings—helping interns connect their career interests with post-secondary education and career planning.
- Provides internships that pay up to $2,000 in wages
Learn more about STEP-UP from previous interns
For other questions about STEP-UP, contact Tammy Dickinson at 612-673-5041.
Last updated Feb 19, 2015