Hennepin Lyndale Nicollet Lake PO Study
CPED is conducting a rezoning study and text amendment to expand the boundary of the Pedestrian Oriented Overlay Zoning District along portions of Hennepin, Lyndale, and Nicollet Avenues and Lake Street.
On January 29, 2016, Council Member Bender and Goodman introduced a zoning code text amendment for Chapter 521-Zoning Districts and Maps Generally and Chapter 551-Overlay Districts in order to amend Pedestrian Oriented Overlay District regulations and expand Pedestrian Oriented Overlay Districts to include additional properties along and in the vicinity of Hennepin Ave, Lyndale Ave S, Nicollet Ave, and W Franklin Ave: 1. Chapter 521 Zoning Districts and Maps Generally. 2. Chapter 551 Overlay Districts.
Note: All dates are tentative and subject to change.
- June 1, 2016: Public Kick-off Meeting. In this meeting City staff provided an overview of the project and introduced the various components of the project. The presentation is linked below. City staff had four boards set up to gain feedback on various elements being considered in this project. The boards are also linked below.
- July 21, 2016: City Planning Commission Committee of the Whole: Review and discussion of draft recommendations with City Planning Commission
- August 4, 2016: City Planning Commission Committee of the Whole Meeting: The rezoning and text amendment were discussed with the City Planning Commission. Materials from the meeting: CPC CoW Memo
- August 16 through September 30, 2016: 45 day public comment period on draft recommendations
- November 1, 2016: City Planning Commission Public Hearing on staff recommendations
- November 18, 2016: City Council action on rezoning and text amendments
Draft Staff Recommendations
The recommended extent of the Pedestrian Oriented Overlay District can be found linked in the map below. A list of properties included in the draft recommended extent of the district is also below. The map and subsequent list reflect the properties that are proposed for rezoning. The text for the proposed Hennepin Lyndale Lagoon and Lake Pedestrian Oriented Overlay District is also linked below. The draft text amendment creating a new Hennepin Lyndale Lagoon and Lake area of the Pedestrian Oriented Overlay Districts Section 551, Article II of the Minneapolis Zoning Code is linked below. The proposed text amendment works in companion to the standard provisions of the Pedestrian Overlay Zoning District. The standards provisions are also linked below.
- Map of draft recommended Pedestrian Oriented Overlay District (pdf)
- List of properties proposed for inclusion in draft recommended Pedestrian Oriented Overlay District (pdf)
- Draft Recommended text for Hennepin Lyndale Lagoon and Lake Pedestrian Oriented Overlay District (pdf)
- Standard Provisions of the Pedestrian Oriented Overlay District
The map, list, and text are all draft recommendations and are up for public comment during the 45-day public review period. Comments on the draft recommendations should be sent in writing to Brian Schaffer (contact info below). At the conclusion of the public comment period CPED will examine the comments provided and determine if changes are merited to the draft recommendations.
Brian Schaffer, AICP, Principal Planner
Last updated Aug 18, 2016