How to File for Office in 2013
City of Minneapolis Municipal Offices
Note: Additional details on the 2013 Election Calendar, how to file for office, and
on the Minneapolis Ranked Choice Voting method will be published as they
Offices on the Ballot in 2013
- Council Members - Wards 1 through 13
- Board of Estimate and Taxation - elect 2
- Park and Recreation Commissioner At-Large - elect 3
- Park and Recreation Commissioner - Districts 1 through 6 - see Park/School District maps
Eligibility to Hold Office – Article VII, Section 6 of the Minnesota Constitution
- Eligible to vote in Minnesota
- Have not filed for the same or any other office at the upcoming primary or general election
- Am or will be on assuming office, twenty-one (21) years of age or more
- Will have maintained residence in this district for at least 30 days before the general election
When to file to be on the ballot
Tuesday July 30 - Tuesday, August 13, 2013
8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. On the last day - August 13, the deadline is 5 p.m.
Candidates may withdraw no later than 5 p.m. Thursday, August 15, 2013. Candidates absent during the filing period may arrange to file prior to departure.
The candidate filing fee is $20.00.
Where to file to be on the ballot
Minneapolis Elections Office
Minneapolis City Hall
350 5th Street South
Room 1B – Ground Floor
Minneapolis MN 55415
Hours: 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday; Tuesday, August 13 and Thursday August 15 until 5:00 p.m.
Campaign registration & reporting: Candidates must submit regular fundraising and expenditure reports to the Hennepin County Campaign Finance Office. Candidates who raise or spend funds over $100 must register their campaign committees within 14 days of exceeding the $100 limit. For information call 612-596-7152 or visit Hennepin County Campaign Finance.
Statement of Economic Interest: Candidates for City of Minneapolis offices must file a personal financial disclosure with the Minneapolis Elections Office within 14 calendar days of filing their candidacy and at regular intervals after that. Candidates will receive Statement of Economic Interest forms and a submittal schedule when they file for office.
Last updated Mar. 28, 2013