About the seasonal flu vaccine

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention provides this information about the seasonal flu vaccine.

What’s in the seasonal flu vaccine?

Each seasonal influenza vaccine contains three influenza viruses: one A (H3N2) virus, one regular seasonal A (H1N1) virus.

Are there two kinds of vaccine for the seasonal flu?

Yes, the vaccine can be administered as either a shot or in a nasal mist.

The shot is injected in the arm and contains a dead virus. The inactivated flu injection is approved for use in people older than 6 months, including healthy people and people with chronic medical conditions

The mist vaccine is administered as a nasal spray and contains a live, weakened virus that cannot grow well in human tissue. Healthy non-pregnant people ages 2 through 49 years old without any chronic health conditions are eligible for flu mist vaccine.

If you have an underlying health condition or a special medical concern, check with your doctor about which vaccine is most appropriate.

When should I get vaccinated?

Seasonal flu vaccination can begin in September or as soon as vaccine is available. Because the timing and duration of influenza seasons vary, you can get a vaccination throughout the influenza season, into December, January, and beyond. While influenza outbreaks can happen as early as October, most of the time influenza activity peaks in January or later.

Who should get the seasonal flu vaccine?

Who should not get a seasonal flu vaccination?

Some people should not get a flu vaccine without first consulting a physician. These groups include:

Will the H1N1 flu vaccine I get protect me against the seasonal flu?

No. The 2009 H1N1 flu is different from the seasonal flu, so the H1N1 flu vaccine won’t work against seasonal flu. You will need to get two different vaccines this year, one for seasonal flu and one for 2009 H1N1 flu.

For more information about the seasonal flu vaccine

Visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website at http://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/keyfacts.htm.

Last updated Mar 22, 2019



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-673-2157 or 612-673-2626.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 

Minneapolis 311       ©1997-2019 City of Minneapolis, MN


311 call center

311 TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Watch Minneapolis City Council TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo