Flu? When to seek help

If you are ill, you may be concerned about being exposed to very ill people in an emergency room or urgent care center. This is a valid concern but there are instances when flu complications can be serious and an ill person should seek medical care.

How do you know when an ill person should seek immediate medical treatment and when it’s best to stay home?

General guidelines about when to seek medical advice or call 911

In a non-emergency situation, call your health care provider for advice, if possible. If your health care provider is flooded with callers, here are other options:

Flu Hotline

Call the Minnesota Department of Health’s toll-free Minnesota FluLine at 1-866-259-4655 for information and treatment options. The nurse line can provide information, prescribe an antiviral medication or recommend an evaluation at a clinic or hospital. There is no charge for calling the FluLine and it is staffed 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Last updated Mar 22, 2019



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-673-2157 or 612-673-2626.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 

Minneapolis 311       ©1997-2019 City of Minneapolis, MN


311 call center

311 TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Watch Minneapolis City Council TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo