Environmental Services conducts research on air quality within the City. Our studies aim to understand levels of particulate matter in the City and assess potential health risks associated with air pollution.
Minneapolis Air Quality Study - Fine Particles (2018)
Air Quality in Minneapolis: Bike Study
In this study, AirBeam monitors are attached to bicycles that ride four different routes to collect air samples. The air samples measure small particles that we breathe in but are too small to see.
- Air monitoring data will be collected for 11 to 15 days in October
- AirBeam monitors, given to volunteers, collects data on 4 route categories:
- Control routes: 22 routes throughout the City
- Commuter routes: Routes by 2 volunteers that regularly bike commute to and from work
- Occupational routes: Routes that MPD Bike Patrol Officers and Traffic Control Officers patrol during their shifts
- Freestyle routes: Volunteers collect data on their own time and choose their own routes
This study uses AirBeam technology to collect air quality data to better understand personal exposure to fine particulate pollution.
- AirBeam uses a light scattering method to measure fine particulates.
- AirBeam monitors wirelessly communicate the data to an AirCasting website. The AirCasting website is where data collected by all AirBeam users are crowd-sourced, mapped, and show how concentrations of fine particulate pollution vary throughout the City.
Interact with the route map for more information.
Minneapolis Air Quality Study - Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) (2014-2015)
Air Quality in Minneapolis: A Neighborhood Approach
In this study, the Minneapolis Health Department collected data on concentrations of VOCs in the air around City of Minneapolis. These data have been used to drive VOC reduction through the Green Cost Share Program.
Interact with the map for more details.
Should you require a reasonable accommodation in order to fully participate, or information in an alternative format, please contact 612-673-2301.
Para asistencia 612-673-2700 - Rau kev pab 612-673-2800 - Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500.
Last updated Mar 19, 2019