City Trees is a program that plants trees on properties for residents, businesses, and organizations. Planting trees is essential for reducing energy costs, better managing storm water, reducing atmospheric carbon dioxide, and increasing livability in our city. Healthy trees look beautiful, increase property values, keep the city cooler in the summer, and provide homes for wildlife.
For Businesses and Organizations
The City Trees Program plants trees on eligible Minneapolis businesses' and non-profit organizations' properties. Trees cost $30 each which includes a consultation with a landscaper to find the best trees for your property.
- Fill out the Tree Survey. Requests for plantings are being accepted on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Trees are professionally planted, mulched, and include watering bags to assist you in caring for the trees.
- To qualify, businesses or non-profits must have enough green space to accommodate a tree or trees, water, and maintain the trees (critical for first three years).
In 2020, the City Trees program is working with Tree Trust (a local nonprofit organization) to provide 2,000 trees to Minneapolis property owners. Trees will cost $25 each and can be purchased on these dates:
- March 16 - March 22: Residents in Greenzones AND landlords in any area of the City with a valid Rental License (up to 10 different rental addresses).
- March 23 - April 15: Residents in any area of the City who have not received a tree from the residential tree distribution (City Trees program) in the last 3 years.
- April 16 - May 1: Residents in any area of the City including those who have received a tree from the residential tree distribution (City Trees program) in the last 3 years.
There is no lottery this year. Select and pay for you tree during your ordering window.
The 2020 tree distribution will be May 16, 17, and 18. You must be able to pick up your tree at the Minneapolis Impound Lot one of these dates.
If you have questions about trees on private property, contact Project Manager Sydney Schaaf at (612)-673-2084 or [email protected]. For questions about public and boulevard trees, contact the Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board.
Should you require a reasonable accommodation in order to fully participate, or information in an alternative format, please contact 612-673-2301.
Para asistencia 612-673-2700 - Rau kev pab 612-673-2800 - Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500.
Last updated Feb 10, 2020