Sound Permit (Outdoor Amplified Sound Permit)
Required for anyone operating outdoor amplified sound (i.e. speaker system). The sound system cannot be operated before 7:00am and after 10:00pm.
Permit fees can be found in the Director’s Fee Schedule.
Sound Permit Ordinance
389.105. Permits for sound amplifying equipment. Except as provided in section 389.60(e)(5), no person shall use or maintain any outside sound amplifying equipment except under specific permit from the assistant city coordinator for regulatory services or their designee. The fees for this permit shall be as established in the director's fee schedule pursuant to section 91.70 for each calendar day for which amplified sound is played or operated subject to the following conditions:
(1) A daytime permit is required for outside sound amplifying equipment used between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m. An extended hours permit shall be required for outside sound amplifying equipment used outside of the hours specified in this subsection and may be issued only if: (A) outside amplified sound equipment is being used as part of a large block event and is explicitly allowed by the terms of the large block event permit issued pursuant to Chapter 455 of this code; or (B) outside amplified sound equipment is being used on publicly owned and controlled property in the Central Business District, or (C) approved by the assistant city coordinator for regulatory services or the assistant city coordinator's designee.
(2) Amplification that does not meet the limits of section 389.60 shall be limited to twelve (12) hours in any one (1) day, twenty-four (24) hours in any seven (7) day period and thirty-six (36) hours in any twenty-eight-day period for the same property. The assistant city coordinator for regulatory services, or their designee, may permit amplified sound in excess of these limitations if, and only if, the outside amplified sound equipment is being used on publicly owned and controlled property in the Central Business District.
(3) Sound measured at fifty (50) feet from the source shall not exceed ninety (90) dB(A).
(4) Sound measured off the property where the equipment is allowed under the permit shall never be more than fifteen (15) dB(A) above the ambient noise level.
(5) Compliance with section 389.65 (a) and (b).
Permits shall be obtained in advance of the proposed extended hours of operation. (92-Or-122, § 1, 10-9-92; 97-Or-063, § 12, 7-11-97; 2006-Or-033, § 5, 4-28-06; 2008-Or-094, § 12, 12-12-08)
If you need this material in an alternative format please call Minneapolis Department of Health at (612) 673-2301 or email email@example.com. Deaf and hard-of-hearing persons may use a relay service to call 311 agents at (612) 673-3000. TTY users may call (612) 673-2157 or (612) 673-2626.
Attention: If you have any questions regarding this material please call Minneapolis Department of Health (612) 673-2301. Hmong - Ceeb toom. Yog koj xav tau kev pab txhais cov xov no rau koj dawb, hu (612) 673-2800; Spanish - Atencion. Si desea recibir asistencia gratuita para traducir esta informacion, llama (612) 673-2700; Somali - Ogow. Haddii aad dooneyso in lagaa kaalmeeyo tarjamadda macluumaadkani oo lacag la' aan wac (612) 673-3500.
Last updated Jan 25, 2016