Formal Bid Process
Invitations for sealed bids are also distributed as follows:
- Advertised in Finance and Commerce. To subscribe to this newspaper, call 612-333-4244.
- Available for your review in the Purchasing Department Lobby. Copies will be mailed or faxed, if requested.
- Sent to National Assoc. of Minority Contractors (NAMC) and construction clearinghouses if applicable.
- Mailed to businesses of record, for those sealed bids in excess of the dollar limit established by the Municipal Contracting Law. The bid solicitation is generally preceded by OP XXXX, where the OP stands for Official Publication and the XXXX represents the number assigned to the specific solicitation.
Submitting a Bid
To submit a sealed bid, you will need to review the specifications for the product or service requested. The specifications describe the physical, technical or functional characteristics, or the nature of a product, service or construction item. They also usually include a description of requirements such as inspecting, testing, or preparing a product, service or construction item for delivery. They also may include provisions that govern various aspects of the relationship of parties under the contract.
Specifications and Bid Form
If you wish to respond to an invitation for sealed bids, you must obtain a copy of the detailed specifications and a bid form. The advertisement will state where specifications, plans and bid forms can be obtained.
It also will state the location where bids must be received, the time by which bids must be submitted, and whether a plan deposit is required. Any bid received after the time specified cannot be considered.
Review and understand the specifications. Read them carefully. Call the buyer if you have any questions about the specifications.
If a pre-bid conference is indicated, you are encouraged to attend as this is an open discussion of the bid documents. City staff and any other involved parties are available to answer any questions.
Bid Deposit or Bond
A bid deposit or bid bond may be required with a sealed bid. Any such requirement will be stated in the specifications. Your bid cannot be considered without the required deposit or bond.
Affirmative Action Compliance Review
If the estimated contract amount or the amount of your combined contracts with the City during the past 12 months is over $100,000, the selected vendor shall be subjected to a pre-award Affirmative Action compliance review by the Minneapolis Department of Civil Rights in accordance with Chapter 139.50(b) of the Minneapolis Code of Ordinances.
Normally you would not bid if you cannot deliver the product or service required under the terms and conditions of the specifications. However,
- If your product or service presents an exception to the specifications and the specifications allow for exceptions, provide a detailed explanation and required documents stating how your product or service can do the intended job as well or better.
- If you cannot bid on all items, bid on those that you can supply -- unless the specifications do not allow for such bidding.
If your business receives an invitation to bid or request for quotation and decides not to bid, notify the City in writing of that decision by submitting a "NO BID." NOTE: Not doing so could affect your standing as an interested bidder and, as a result, the City may remove your business from the bidder's list.
Submitted bids are opened at a designated public sealed-bid opening session. The time and place are indicated in the specifications.
Copies of bid tabulations are mailed to all bidders.
A contract award is made to the lowest responsible bidder meeting the specifications. In addition to your price, however, other aspects of your business may be taken into consideration. These include your business' reputation and experience, ability to meet delivering and stocking requirements, product quality and past good faith effort to meet required affirmative action goals.
No work should be performed on City facilities or work sites before an award has been made.
After Contract is Awarded
Written notice of the contract award is sent to the successful bidder.
Bids deposits are normally returned to the unsuccessful bidders shortly after the award is made.
Bid prices and awards are available by calling (612) 673-2500.
If you submit a bid in accordance with the specifications and your bid is accepted, you are obligated to fulfill the terms and conditions of the specifications.
Last updated Oct 1, 2018