Health Department

Food, Lodging & Pools
Public Service Center
250 S. 4th St., Room 510
Minneapolis, MN 55415

Visit Business Portal button

Didn't find what you are looking for?  Visit the Contact 311 web page for information about the City and City services.


Body Art Establishments

Body art establishments are businesses that provide Body Art procedures such as tattooing, cosmetic tattooing, and piercing. Procedures that are not governed by the Minneapolis Body Art Code are piercings of the outer perimeter or lobe of the ear. Branding, implantation, suspension and scarification are prohibited in Minneapolis under the Code.


Body Art establishments are required to be licensed in the City of Minneapolis. Body Art establishments must obtain a license through Business Licensing. Individual technicians are required to be licensed through the State of Minnesota. City of Minneapolis does not license individual technicians but does require each individual to show proof of state licensure and to follow all Minneapolis regulations when practicing within the City of Minneapolis.

For Temporary Body Art Event information, please visit our Civic Events page.

Body Art establishments are inspected yearly under the Minneapolis City Ordinance, Chapter 339: Body Art Code. The business licensee is responsible for ensuring compliance with State and City regulations within their facility.

Any concerns about a body art establishment can be reported online to the Minneapolis Health Department.

Body Art Events

There are two types of temporary Body Art events:

All participating body artists must be licensed or permitted by the State of Minnesota prior to the event and must show proof of license or permit to the Minneapolis Food, Lodging & Pools program.

Tattooing - Body Piercing Establishment License Application

Tattooing - Body Piercing Establishment, Temporary Event License Application

The event sponsor must obtain a "Sponsor of Temporary Tattooing/Piercing Event" license and assumes responsibility in ensuring that the event is in compliance and that the participating artists have obtained proper licensure and will be operating within the regulations and event guidelines.  


Minneapolis Health Department Logo

Should you require a reasonable accommodation in order to fully participate, or information in an alternative format, please contact 612-673-2301. 

Para asistencia 612-673-2700 - Rau kev pab 612-673-2800 - Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500

Last updated May 2, 2018



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-673-2157 or 612-673-2626.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 


311 call center

TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Minneapolis 14 Government TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo