Health Department

Food, Lodging & Pools
Public Service Center
250 S. 4th St., Room 510
Minneapolis, MN 55415

Visit Business Portal button

Didn't find what you are looking for?  Visit the Contact 311 web page for information about the City and City services.


Farmers Markets

Minneapolis is home to nearly 30 markets across the City. The markets range from small mini-markets to large farmers markets. For information about Farmers Markets locations and hours visit the Homegrown Minneapolis webpage

Becoming a vendor

To become a vendor at a Minneapolis farmers market or other public market, contact the market manager (click on the "View a list of market schedules" link).

All vendors must be invited to participate in markets and public events by the market manager or the event food sponsor. 

Every invited vendor must give their permit or license number, or exemption information, to the market manager. 

Vendors at Minneapolis farmers markets must get a Minneapolis Seasonal Food Permit, with some exceptions. Exceptions are food trucks licensed by the City of Minneapolis and exempt vendors (see #2 below). 

Three types of vendors are allowed at Minneapolis farmers markets: 

1. Seasonal Food Permit vendor 

This permit allows vendors to participate in farmers markets and public events in Minneapolis.

Seasonal Food Permit vendors typically: 

You must get a Seasonal Food Permit even if you have a: 

Seasonal Food Permit application (PDF) English, Spanish

2. Exempt Vendors

State law allows specific vendors to operate without a permit or license. You are an exempt vendor if you meet the definition of exempt vendor in state law. 

If you are a Cottage Food Producer, you must be registered with the Minnesota Department of Agriculture (MDA) to use your exemption. 

You do not need to be registered with MDA if you are one of the following vendor types. You must tell the market manager that you are an exempt vendor. 

3. Minneapolis Licensed Food Trucks

Food trucks with a Minneapolis Mobile Food Vehicle Vendor license are allowed at farms markets and at permitted public events in Minneapolis.

Frequently Asked Questions by food and beverage vendors (When FAQ opens, scroll down to the vendors section.)

Seasonal Food Permit

A Seasonal Food Permit allows a vendor to sell or give away food and/or drink at multiple licensed civic events, community celebrations and farmers markets throughout the year.

Seasonal Food Permit Application English, Español 

Apply for your permit at least TWO (2) WEEKS before operating at a farmers market, other public market or public event. 

A maximum of two stands can operate under each permit per event. 

Seasonal Food Permits are valid for one year, from April 1 through March 31 of the following year. 

Using Mechanical refrigeration

All vendors with cold time/temperature control for safety foods (formerly Potentially Hazardous Food (PHF)) must use NSF or NSF equivalent mechanical refrigeration.

Questions? Call 311 (612-673-3000 outside Minneapolis) or email [email protected]. Ask to speak with a health inspector on the food permit team.

Farmers market vendor categories

Table of farmers market vendor types with the permit or information to give to the market manager.

If you are this vendor: 

Then you need: 

Seasonal vendor Minneapolis Seasonal Food Permit, EnglishSpanish
Farm processor (see definition below)Minneapolis Seasonal Food Permit EnglishSpanish
Wild harvester (see definition below)Minneapolis Seasonal Food Permit EnglishSpanish
Registered Cottage Food vendorRegister with MN Dept. of Agriculture and market manager
Registered Poultry ProcessorRegister with MN Dept. of Agriculture and market manager
Product of the FarmRegister with market manager
Meat Processor´╗┐Register with market manager
Food sampling/demo´╗┐Register with market manager


Vendor lists

Market managers looking for vendors can use these lists. The City of Minneapolis does not endorse any company. 

Seasonal Food Vendor list 

Mobile Food Vehicle vendor list (Food trucks and ice cream carts.)

MDA Cottage Food Producer lookup (lookup under a business name or a registered individual's name)

If you have questions about these lists, contact the Health Department at 612-673-2301 or [email protected].  Ask to speak with a health inspector on the food permit team.

Operating a licensed market

Opening and operating a farmers market or other public market in Minneapolis requires a license with a plan review approval. 

Minneapolis has three types of market licenses: 

Market managers

The market manager is responsible for the market(s):

See duties of the market manager.

The market manager must be present when the market is open to the public. 

The market manager must make sure all food vendors are permitted or licensed prior to operating at the market, unless they are an exempt vendor. Refer to the section Becoming a vendor above. 

The market manager must keep an accurate record of each vendor. The records must be easily available and given to City of Minneapolis staff when requested. 


Minneapolis Health Department LogoShould you require a reasonable accommodation in order to fully participate, or information in an alternative format, please contact 612-673-2301.
Para asistencia 612-673-2700 - Rau kev pab 612-673-2800 - Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500.

Last updated Dec 11, 2018



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-673-2157 or 612-673-2626.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 


311 call center

311 TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Minneapolis 14 Government TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo