Health Department

Food, Lodging & Pools
Public Service Center
250 S. 4th St., Room 510
Minneapolis, MN 55415

Food Permit Frequently Asked Questions

What determines whether an establishment needs a catering license?

A catering license is needed if the food is:

An operator owns a licensed food establishment and wants to cater food to a business facility or private wedding. What license is needed?

A caterer's license.

A church or school is having a pot luck dinner, bake sale, or dinner. Attendees will be limited to students and parents or to the congregation. Does this require a permit?

No. This is considered a private event because it is not open to the general public. As long as it is a closed group, City involvement is not required.

If signs are posted and the public is invited it is a public event. A permit is required.

What do I need to sell ice cream, popcorn, candy, or pop from a truck?

Please view the Limited Mobile Food Vendor Application, Guidelines, and Checklist

Do I need a permit to sell or give away pre-packaged food at an event?

            Yes. This includes beverages.

Can someone sell food or beverages from a private home?

No. Private homes are not zoned for commercial use nor are home-prepared foods allowed by the Minnesota Food Code.

What type of foods can be sold from Sidewalk or Indoor Food Cart?

Please see applications and guidelines for:

Food Cart Vendor, Indoor

Food Cart Vendor, Sidewalk

Food Cart Vendor, Kiosk

Is a food license from the Minnesota Department of Health or the Minnesota Department of Agriculture accepted in Minneapolis? 

No. These licenses are not accepted in Minneapolis. The only vendors who do not need to obtain a Short Term Food Permit for an event in Minneapolis are:



Minneapolis Health Department Logo

Should you require a reasonable accommodation in order to fully participate, or information in an alternative format, please contact 612-673-2301. 

Para asistencia 612-673-2700 - Rau kev pab 612-673-2800 - Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500

Last updated Jun 4, 2018



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-673-2157 or 612-673-2626.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 


311 call center

311 TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Minneapolis 14 Government TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo