What determines whether an establishment needs a catering license?
Catering license is needed if the food is delivered and served on site to customers, or if food is delivered in multi-use utensils that will be returned for re-use.
An operator owns a licensed food establishment and wants to cater food to a business facility or private wedding. What license is needed?
A church or school is having a pot luck dinner, bake sale, or dinner. Attendees will be limited to students and parents or to the congregation. Does this require a permit?
No - this is considered a private event because it is not open to the general public. As long as it is a closed group, City involvement is not required.
If signs are posted and the public is invited, then a permit will be required as it would be a public event.
What do I need to sell ice cream, popcorn, candy, or pop from a truck?
Do I need a permit to sell or give away pre-packaged food at an event?
Yes. This includes beverages.
Can someone sell food or beverages from a private home?
No - private homes are not zoned for commercial use nor are home-prepared foods allowed by the Minnesota Food Code.
What type of foods can be sold from Sidewalk or Indoor Food Cart?
Please see applications and guidelines for:
Is a food license from the Minnesota Department of Health or the Minnesota Department of Agriculture accepted in Minneapolis?
No. These licenses are not accepted in Minneapolis. The only vendors who do not need to obtain a Short Term Food Permit for an event in Minneapolis are the following:
- Pour Only vendors, to be included as part of an Event Food Sponsor Permit.
- Licensed Minneapolis Mobile Food Vehicle (food truck) vendors.
- Licensed Minneapolis Limited Mobile Food vendors.
- Vendors with a Minneapolis Seasonal Food Permit.
- Cottage Food Law exempt vendors registered with the Minnesota Department of Agriculture. Look up Cottage Food Law exempt vendors at http://www2.mda.state.mn.us/webapp/lis/default.jsp
- Product of the Farm exempt vendors
Should you require a reasonable accommodation in order to fully participate, or information in an alternative format, please contact 612-673-2301.
Para asistencia 612-673-2700 - Rau kev pab 612-673-2800 - Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500
Last updated Jul 13, 2017