Heritage preservation helps preserve the community’s unique identity, culture, and character by protecting significant historic resources from the city’s past. Community interest in preservation has resulted in over 1,200 designated properties, including over 160 landmarks and 15 historic districts.
Landmarks and historic districts enhance the city’s unique identity, quality of life, and economic vitality. CPED staff coordinates with the Heritage Preservation Commission to review rehabilitation, repair, new construction, and demolition requests for designated properties and historic resources. CPED staff and the Heritage Preservation Commission also conduct ongoing research of eligible sites and districts, evaluate the significance of buildings and districts, and recommend the designation of historic properties.
Landmarks and Districts Map
All modifications to designated properties require review by CPED staff. On small projects limited to minor alterations of a designated property, CPED staff can conduct preservation reviews administratively. On larger projects that include major alterations of a designated property, CPED staff conducts reviews and prepares recommendations that are presented at public hearings before the Heritage Preservation Commission. Review is commonly limited to only exterior alterations to a property, although a few properties also require interior alteration review if their interior is designated.
A Guide to Heritage Preservation in Minneapolis
- Lowry Hill East Residential Historic District - Design Guidelines Draft - Submit comments by November 9 to Alexandr Young (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Sumner T. McKnight Mansion - 2200 Park Avenue - Paul Mogush 612-673-2074
- Spokesman Recorder Building - 3744 4th Avenue South – Deebaa Sirdar 612-673-2208
- I.O.O.F. and White Castle Systems, Inc. - 404 and 410 West Broadway - Jim Voll 612-673-3887
- Pillsbury Snyder Mansion - 2118 Blaisdell Avenue South - Brian Schaffer 612-673-2670
- 4400 Lyndale Ave N - 4400, 4401, 4420 and 4430 Lyndale Ave N - Jim Voll 612-673-3887
- Electric Steel Elevator - 600 25th Ave SE & 649 26th Ave SE - Haila Maze 612-673-2098
- Minneapolis Heritage Preservation Awards
- Walking and Biking Tours
Please visit the Preserve Minneapolis website for updates and information on the walking and biking tour schedule.
Last updated Oct 19, 2015