New Century Mill
New Century Mill– exterior
1979, CPED Staff
Address: 545 Oak Street Southeast
Neighborhood: University of Minnesota
Construction Date: 1900
Contractor: Edward P. Allis Company
Engineer: William Dixon Gray
Historic Use: Flour mill
Current Use: Burned and demolished in 1990
Date of Local Designation: 1984
Date of National Designation: 1980, de-listed in 1993
Area of Significance: Engineering, economic history
Period of Significance: 1900-1921
Historic Profile: The New Century Mill was completed in 1900 and was the first steam-powered flour mill in Minneapolis. Its location at the intersection of two major railroads provided it with a competitive advantage which was able to offset the additional cost of operating on steam power rather than water power. The New Century Mill was a significant step in the evolution of the milling industry in Minneapolis, decoupling it from St. Anthony Falls and the Mississippi and increasing its connection to the railroads. The mill was designed by William Dixon Gray, lead engineer at the Edward P. Allis Company of Milwaukee, and the most significant milling engineer of his era. Gray was responsible for the design of several other mills in Minneapolis, including the Standard Mill, a contributing property to the St. Anthony Falls Historic District, as well as Minneapolis’ first roller mill. The New Century Mill was owned by George C. Christian, son of George H. Christian, who owned and operated mills for the Washburn Company. Milling operations at the New Century Mill ceased in the early 1920s, after which point the building’s use is unknown, but it was likely used primarily for storage. The building suffered a major fire and was demolished in 1990.
CPED Staff, 1979.
“National Register of Historic Places Inventory Nomination Form: New Century Mill,” 1987.
Updated: April 2015
Last updated Jun 11, 2015