Address: 1213-21, 1225 Hawthorne Avenue
Neighborhood: Loring Park
Contractor: Hadgson & Sons
Architect: Hodgson & Sons/ Harry Wild Jones
Historic Use: Private Residences
Current Use: Private Residences
Date of Local Designation: 1980
Date of National Register Designation: 1990
Area(s) of Significance: Architecture
Period of Significance: 1800-1899, 1900-
Historic Profile: The Swinford Apartments and Townhouses are excellent examples of cohesive, multi-family residential housing sharing common materials, design purpose and site. The Swinford Townhomes, completed in 1886 by the firm of Hodgson and Sons, were executed in the French Second Empire style using red brick, stone, and terracotta. The Swinford Apartments were built in 1897 by Anthony Kelly, a dynamic nineteenth-century entrepreneur who pioneered the wholesale grocery business in Minneapolis. The apartments were designed by Harry Wild Jones and emphasize his preference for eclecticism of style. The building is a four-story red-brick and stone building with a corner bay. The complex, named after Kelly’s birthplace in Ireland, is located in the once elegant inner-city neighborhood surrounding Hawthorne Park.
1974, Charles Nelson, courtesy of The Minnesota Historical Society
2006, Minneapolis CPED
"Local Heritage Preservation Designation Study," August 1981.
Updated: February 2007
Last updated Feb 8, 2019