Woman’s Club of Minneapolis

Individual Landmark


 1930 Woman’s Club of Minneapolis

 2006 Woman’s Club of Minneapolis

Address: 410 Oak Grove

Neighborhood: Loring Park

Construction Date: 1927

Architect: Leon Eugene Arnal

Architectural Style: Renaissance Revival

Historic Use: Public - Clubhouse

Current Use: Public - Clubhouse

Date of Local Designation: 1998

Date of National Designation: N/A

Area(s) of Significance: Cultural History; Historic Personage; Master Architect

Period of Significance: 1927-1997

Historic Profile: Far from simply being a social club, the Woman’s Club of Minneapolis played an active role in the city’s early twentieth-century social and cultural development. From its creation in 1907, the Club provided an organization for upper and middle-class women to follow in the tradition of the Progressive reformers in improving the city and supporting the arts. Emerging at the time of the Women’s Suffrage movement of the early twentieth century, the Club offered an opportunity for women to participate in community affairs and gain political influence. Prominent women, such as Gratia Countryman, the first female head librarian in the City of Minneapolis; Clara Ueland, president of the Minnesota Woman Suffrage Association; and Mabeth Hurd Paige, a member of the Minnesota House of Representatives, were active participants in the Woman’s Club. By 1921, the Club had gained so much popularity the headquarters located on Harmon Place could no longer accommodate its 1,000 members. Leon Arnal, a professor from the University of Minnesota working in association with the architectural firm of Magney and Tusler, was hired to design the new location overlooking Loring Park. Arnal, who was later recognized for his work on the Foshay Tower and the U.S. Post Office, designed the Woman’s Club in a Second Renaissance Revival style that harmonized with the neighboring buildings. The details Arnal employed such as wrought iron balconets, arched loggia and patterned brickwork created a distinctive landmark as well as a symbol that solidified the influence of the Woman’s Club in Minneapolis.

Photo Credits:

1930, Charles J. Hibbard, view from West 15 th Street, courtesy of The Minnesota Historical Society

2006, Minneapolis CPED

Works Cited:

"City of Minneapolis Heritage Preservation Commission Registration Form," May 1996.

Updated: February 2007

Last updated Feb 7, 2019



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-673-2157 or 612-673-2626.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 

Minneapolis 311       ©1997-2020 City of Minneapolis, MN


311 call center

311 TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Watch Minneapolis City Council TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo