Como-Harriet Streetcar Line and Trolley

Individual Landmark


 1910 Como-Harriet Streetcar Line and Trolley

 1971 Como-Harriet Streetcar Line and Trolley

Address: 42 nd Street West at Queen Avenue South

Neighborhood: Corridor

Construction Date: 1887/1908

Contractor: Street Railway Company

Architectural Style: N/A

Historic Use: Transportation

Current Use: Recreation/Culture

Date of Local Designation: 1986

Date of National Register Designation: 1977

Area(s) of Significance: Transportation

Period of Significance: 1887-1954 (track); 1908- (trolley) 

Historic Profile: The Lake Harriet Trolley, "1300," and the Como-Harriet Streetcar Line together are the last working examples of the once extensive public transportation system in Minneapolis. Once extending as far as downtown Saint Paul, the Como-Harriet Streetcar Line became inoperable after 1954 when the streetcar system was converted into buses. To date, the restored trolleys run on one-half mile of the original route just to the west of Lake Harriet. Passengers board the car from an original platform at the intersection of West 42 nd Street and Queen Avenue South. The trolley was built in April 1908 with a yellow body with brown trim above the floor line, forest green below, and Tuscan red roof and widow sashes. The Como Interurban – Harriet, which originally ran from Lake Harriet in Minneapolis to the Ryan Hotel in St. Paul, opened for use on July 1, 1898. The tracks at Lake Harriet had been in use since 1884; first for horse and then for electric cars after 1891. Eventually, the line was extended to the shores of Lake Minnetonka fourteen miles to the west, providing public transportation to popular recreation areas and aiding the development of the western suburbs. The remaining trolley and tracks at Lake Harriet are the most important link from the past leading toward a transportation model for the future.

Photo Credits:

1910, Conductors seated in interior of Como-Harriet streetcar, courtesy of The Minnesota Historical Society

1971, Kent Kobersteen

Works Cited:

"National Register of Historic Places – Nomination Form," January 1977.

Updated: February 2007

Last updated Feb 7, 2019



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-673-2157 or 612-673-2626.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 

Minneapolis 311       ©1997-2019 City of Minneapolis, MN


311 call center

311 TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Watch Minneapolis City Council TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo