Free Services and Discounts
Employee Assistance Program
The City of Minneapolis’ employee benefits package includes access to a confidential service that provides counseling services to help you or your family members deal with financial, legal, work-related, and relationship issues through an Employee Assistance Program. Examples of the wide array services include: free consultation with an attorney, help finding child or elder care, advice from a financial professional, or support on how to live with a chronic health condition.
The Employee Assistance Program (EAP) is offered through Medica, and is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Services are available by phone, online, or through in-person appointments. You can reach the EAP counseling hotline at 1-800-626-7944. Additional information is available at www.liveandworkwell.com (access code: medica).
Free Programs Through The Standard
The Standard, the City’s provider of employee group life, accident, and disability coverage and leave administration services offers several free programs for City employees. Using these programs can save employees time and money. Visit the Life Services Toolkit website at standard.com/mytoolkit and enter user name "assurance" for information and tools to help you make important life decisions.
- Identity Theft Protection: Victims of identity theft often go through a cumbersome, time-intensive process to restore their credit records. The Standard's identity theft program is available to help if this serious crime impacts you.
- Estate Planning Assistance: Planning in advance helps relieve uncertainties for family members and ensures your wishes are known. Use The Standard's free online tools to create important legal documents, such as living wills, powers of attorney, and health care agent forms.
- Funeral Arrangements: Use the website to calculate funeral costs, find funeral-related services and make decisions about funeral arrangements in advance.
- Financial Planning: Consult online services to help you manage debt, calculate mortgage and loan payments, and take care of other financial matters with confidence.
- Health and Wellness: Timely articles about nutrition, stress management and wellness help employees and their families lead healthy lives.
- Services for Beneficiaries: Life insurance beneficiaries can access services for 12 months after the date of death. Services include grief support, legal services, financial assistance, support services and online resources. Visit standard.com/mytoolkit and enter user name "support" or call 800.378.5742.
- Travel Protection: The Standard Travel Assistance can help cover you in case of emergency when you are traveling over 100 miles from home or internationally for up to 180 days for business or pleasure. To take advantage of these services, call 800.527.0218 from the US, Canada, Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands and Bermuda or call 1.410.453.6330 from everywhere else.
Discounts on Entertainment, Products, and Services through MERSC
City of Minneapolis employees and retirees, as well as their immediate family members, are eligible for discounts on entertainment, theater tickets, and other products and services. Discounts are offered by Minnesota Employee Recreation & Services Council (MERSC).
City employees are eligible for a 10 percent discount on childcare at New Horizon Academy. To learn more about the New Horizon Academy, visit their website at newhorizonacademy.net or call 763-557-1111.
Health Club Discounts
City of Minneapolis employees are eligible for special health club discounts at these health clubs:
- Life Time Fitness
- Snap Fitness
- CorePower Yoga
- 501 Fit
- Ivy Spa and Fitness Club
Save on Tuition at Augsburg, Hamline, and St. Mary's
City employees have the opportunity to take advantage of the below educational discounts.
- Augsburg College: City employees get a $50 discount per undergraduate credit for adult undergraduate degree programs and an $80 discount per graduate credit for graduate degree programs at Augsburg College. The discount applies only to new students and does not apply to certificate programs, individual courses and the Master of Science in Physician Assistant Studies.
- Hamline: City employees can save 10% per credit hour tuition for the Master of Public Administration program. In addition, there is a 10% discount for seminars and certificates offered by the Center of Public Administration and Leadership.
- St. Mary's University of Minnesota: City employees receive a 10% savings on tuition and waived application fee for Schools of Graduate Professional Programs that includes: Bachelor completion, Undergraduate & Graduate Certificates, Master’s, Professional Development, Specialist, and Doctoral programs. Degree programs are offered on-campus and online.
Public Service Loan Forgiveness
The City of Minneapolis qualifies as a public service employer under the federal Public Service Loan Forgiveness program. City of Minneapolis employees may qualify for forgiveness of the remaining balance due on certain Federal Direct student loans after making 120 qualifying payments on eligible loans while employed full-time. Please visit the Federal Student Aid website for more information. To request to have the employer section of the form completed, please submit a general benefits inquiry through the HR Service Center.
Several companies offer discounts for City of Minneapolis employees. Learn more by visiting the Minneapolis Information Technology page.
Last updated Mar 14, 2018