Housing & Fire Inspections

Public Service Center
250 South 4th Street, Room 300
Minneapolis, MN 55415

Report a Problem

Abandoned Vehicles Centered Text
Housing Code Violations Icon Centered
Long Grass & Weeds Icon Centered
Rental Unit Problems Centered Icon
Trash or Rubbish Centered Icon


Minneapolis311iconCall 311 for information about the City and City services.



Non-English Resources

Non-English Information, this icon shows text for espanol, hmoob and soomaaliga

Find services and City information translated in other languages.


Rental Property - Licensing

Every rental dwelling, including single-family rental dwellings and rental units in owner-occupied duplexes, and rooming and shared-bath units (unless they are in a licensed lodging house) must have a rental license.

Minneapolis uses a tiered rental license billing structure. A property's tier is based on its rental history, and focuses primarily on the condition and maintenance of the property itself. More information about tiering and the tiering criteria can be found here.

Why License Rental Properties?

The intent of the rental license ordinance is to:

General Rules

Applying for a Rental License

There are two ways to submit an application for a Minneapolis rental license. You can apply in person at Minneapolis Development Review, or you can mail in a completed application to:

Department of Regulatory Services
Rental Licensing
250 South 4th Street, Room 300
Minneapolis, MN 55415

You can find a downloadable copy of the application here. Be sure to read the instructions on the last two pages of the application.

Rental Property Management Courses

Attending a rental property management course can be helpful to you as a landlord or property manager, whether you have just acquired your first property or you have been in the business for years. Additionally, owners and property managers who can present proof of attendance at a recognized property management course can receive a $250 discount on the $1000 conversion fee, or a $250 reimbursement on a conversion fee paid by the owner or property manager in the last two years.

Updating Rental License Information

Requests to change a contact address or phone number on a rental license can be made over the phone by calling 612.673.3000. Changing or adding a new contact person of record requires a resubmittal of the rental license application with a notarized signature from the new contact and the owner.

If a person’s name has legally changed due to marriage or other reasons, a copy of the marriage certificate or a signed and notarized affidavit of the name change must be submitted.

Local Contact

If the property owner resides outside of the Minneapolis-St. Paul metropolitan area—defined as Anoka, Carver, Chisago, Dakota, Goodhue, Hennepin, Isanti, Le Sueur, McLeod, Ramsey, Rice, Scott, Sherburne, Sibley, Washington, or Wright Counties—the owner must name a local contact person as their manager.

Your local contact will receive all written communication from the City of Minneapolis, including the annual renewal and violation notices, so it’s important that this individual’s contact information is kept current.

Foreclosed Properties

Rental properties in foreclosure must maintain a rental license until the redemption date stated on the foreclosure documents. The redemption date and other foreclosure information can be found here.

Relative Homestead

If the property is a relative homestead, a rental license is required. If you occupy the property and have a family member living with you in the same unit, a rental license is not required. For more information about how to relative homestead a property, please call 612.673.3000.


A rental license is not required for your roommates as long as you own and occupy the property. However, the number of roommates you can have is limited by the Housing Maintenance and Zoning Codes. Your license will include this information, and you can also find it here.

Closing a Rental License

If a property no longer requires a rental license, you must notify the department in writing or call 612.673.3000.

Last updated May 17, 2018



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-673-2157 or 612-673-2626.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 


311 call center

311 TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Minneapolis 14 Government TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo