Outdoor Food Vending
This page provides a brief summary of the City of Minneapolis business license requirements. It is intended to educate our business partners on some of the ways to protect your business from common license violations.
Licenses that allow the sale of food outside of a building
Mobile Food Vehicle Vendor: A self-contained truck or trailer used to prepare and serve food that is readily movable without dissembling.
Limited Mobile Food Vendor: A vehicle from which prepackaged items, such as ice cream, pop, and candy, are sold.
Sidewalk Food Cart Vendor: A non-motorized push cart that sells packaged or ready-to-eat foods on public sidewalks or private property in the greater downtown area.
Short-term Food Permit: The sale of food and drink for a period of not more than three times annually and ten total days at community celebrations, circuses, and other similar events.
Farmers Markets: Vendors who sell at markets.
- Food must be prepared in a commercial kitchen and not at a home.
- Food cannot be peddled door to door.
- Mobile Food sales are not permitted everywhere in Minneapolis. Call 612- 673-3000 for information on where it is allowed.If you are found operating without a license, your food sales will be immediately suspended. Your equipment may be impounded and a citation may be issued.
What happens if you are in violation?
- In certain circumstances, administrative citations can be issued on the first violation.
- Expect a letter, telephone call or visit from a License Inspector describing the complaint or violation.
- Take this notice seriously. Call your Inspector for information or solutions.
- Failure to comply with violation orders may result in citations, fines, suspensions, and revocation of your license to operate.
A complete set of requirements may be found in the Minneapolis Code of Ordinances (MCO).
Questions? Give us a call: (612) 673-2080 or 311
For reasonable accommodations, or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf, or hard of hearing, can use a relay service to call 311 at (612) 673-3000.
TTY users can call (612) 673-2157 or (612) 673-2626.
Para asistencia (612) 673-2700. Yog xav tau kev pab hu (612) 637-2800. Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay (612) 673-3500.
Last updated Feb 27, 2019