This page provides a brief summary of the City of Minneapolis business license requirements. It is intended to educate our business partners on some of the ways to protect your business from common license violations.
What is a Pedal Car?
A non-motorized, human powered bicycle-like vehicle which transports five or more passengers plus the driver/operator. Passengers may bring their own food and beverages, including some alcoholic beverages, on board for their tour through the city. It may be up to 12 feet high and 20 feet long.
Are Pedal Cars legal in Minneapolis?
In February 2013 the Minneapolis City Council approved local ordinance Chapter 306 making them legal in Minneapolis. This law requires pedal cars to be insured, inspected and licensed. Every driver/operator must also be licensed by the City of Minneapolis.
- Follow all traffic laws.
- End all tours by 10 p.m.
- Safely load and unload passengers.
- Manage the behavior of the passengers.
- Consumption of alcohol is prohibited while on duty.
- Discard all trash.
- Every passenger must have a seat.
- Passengers may not drive the pedal car.
- No glassware, amplified music or yelling.
- Must be at least 21 to consume alcohol.
- Alcohol is limited to beer, wine, hard cider or malt-based beverages below 6% alcohol.
What Happens if You Are in Violation?
- In certain circumstances, administrative citations can be issued on the first violation.
- Expect a letter, telephone call or visit from a License Inspector describing the complaint or violation.
- Take this notice seriously. Call your Inspector for information or solutions.
- Failure to comply with violation orders may result in citations, fines, suspensions, and revocation of your license to operate.
A complete set of requirements may be found in the Minneapolis Code of Ordinances (MCO).
Questions? Give us a call: (612) 673-2080 or 311
For reasonable accommodations, or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf, or hard of hearing, can use a relay service to call 311 at (612) 673-3000.
TTY users can call (612) 673-2157 or (612) 673-2626.
Para asistencia (612) 673-2700. Yog xav tau kev pab hu (612) 637-2800. Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay (612) 673-3500.
Last updated Feb 27, 2019