Community Planning & Economic Development

Business Licenses & Consumer Services
350 S. 5th Street, Room 1
Minneapolis, MN 55415
Phone: (612) 673-2080
Fax: (612) 673-3399

Monday through Thursday
8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Friday 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.

Visit Business Portal button

Didn't find what you are looking for?  Visit the Contact 311 web page for information about the City and City services.


Surveillance Cameras

This page provides a brief summary of the City of Minneapolis business license requirements. It is intended to educate our business partners on some of the ways to protect your business from common license violations.

Small businesses can become targets for theft and violent crimes. Surveillance cameras assist in deterring crime and can provide information to the police to investigate when crimes do occur. An ordinance to require surveillance cameras was enacted in 2005 to protect the public health, safety and welfare by increasing security for patrons and employees of these businesses (MCO 259.230).

These businesses must have a surveillance camera operating in their stores during business hours: Gas stations with groceries, Tobacco dealers, Grocery stores, Off-sale liquor establishments and Confectioneries – candy stores.

Other Requirements

Stores have other requirements regarding their surveillance cameras.

  1. Signage: A sign notifying the public that a surveillance camera is operating on the premises.
  2. One camera must be aimed at the entrance door.
  3. Police or Business Licenses must be able to get recording material within 8 hours of their request.
  4. Minneapolis Police or Business Licenses can inspect the camera to ensure it operates properly.
  5. Surveillance cameras must record in color.
  6. Recorded materials must be clear in all lighting conditions and easily viewed. A camera must be fixed to record the entrance door; a panning camera is not allowed.
  7. Date and time stamps must be printed on the recorded materials.
  8. Surveillance cameras must record during all hours of operation of the business.
  9. Gasoline filling station must have cameras that record at the pumps.

Digital Surveillance Systems

What Happens if You Are in Violation?

  1. In certain circumstances, administrative citations can be issued on the first violation.
  2. Expect a letter, telephone call or visit from a License Inspector describing the complaint or violation.
  3. Take this notice seriously. Call your Inspector for information or solutions.
  4. Failure to comply with violation orders may result in citations, fines, suspensions, and revocation of your license to operate.

A complete set of requirements may be found in the Minneapolis Code of Ordinances (MCO)

Questions? Give us a call: (612) 673-2080 or 311
For reasonable accommodations, or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf, or hard of hearing, can use a relay service to call 311 at (612) 673-3000.
TTY users can call (612) 673-2157 or (612) 673-2626.
Para asistencia (612) 673-2700. Yog xav tau kev pab hu (612) 637-2800. Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay (612) 673-3500.


Last updated Feb 27, 2019



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-673-2157 or 612-673-2626.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 

Regulatory Services  ©1997-2020 City of Minneapolis, MN


311 call center

311 TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Watch Minneapolis City Council TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo