Tobacco Product Shop Sampling
This page provides a brief summary of the City of Minneapolis business license requirements. It is intended to educate our business partners on some of the ways to protect your business from common license violations.
Tobacco Sampling Guidelines for Exclusive Tobacco Products Shops
- An Exclusive Tobacco Products Shop is a retail establishment that derives more than 90% of its gross revenue from the sale of loose tobacco, plants, herbs, cigars, cigarettes, pipes, smoking devices for burning tobacco and related smoking accessories. The sale of other products represents incidental revenue.
- The establishments must have an entrance door opening directly to the outside.
- Single samples of smokeless tobacco products, cigarettes, cigars, pipe tobacco, or other tobacco products may be offered.
- Any smoking device (pipe, hookah, water pipe) cannot be provided for the purpose of sampling of any tobacco product.
- Seating or access to the indoor area of the tobacco products shop cannot be offered in exchange for a fee or similar consideration.
- Customers or other persons cannot sample tobacco that was not furnished by the tobacco products shop on the date and time the sampling occurs.
- Stores selling e-cigarette products can allow product sampling.
What Happens if You Are in Violation?
- In certain circumstances, administrative citations can be issued on the first violation.
- Expect a letter, telephone call or visit from a License Inspector describing the complaint or violation.
- Take this notice seriously. Call your Inspector for information or solutions.
- Failure to comply with violation orders may result in citations, fines, suspensions, and revocation of your license to operate.
A complete set of requirements may be found in the Minneapolis Code of Ordinances (MCO)
Questions? Give us a call: (612) 673-2080 or 311
For reasonable accommodations, or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf, or hard of hearing, can use a relay service to call 311 at (612) 673-3000.
TTY users can call (612) 673-2157 or (612) 673-2626.
Para asistencia (612) 673-2700. Yog xav tau kev pab hu (612) 637-2800. Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay (612) 673-3500.
Last updated Feb 27, 2019