Frequently Asked Questions
How do I apply for a liquor license?
How long does it take to get a liquor license in Minneapolis?
About six to eight weeks.
Who can I call if I have questions or complaints about a local bar or liquor store?
1. Call 311 (612-673-3000) from 7:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. on weekdays and 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. on weekends.
2. Send 311 a text at 311TXT or 311898.
4. Visit their website, Minneapolis 311
, for online services and information about nonemergency concerns.
Besides 311, is there a number I can call for more information?
1. Call Business Licenses at 612-673-2080. We are open Monday – Thursday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. and Friday from 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
What are the acceptable forms of identification?
The main types are driver’s license, state ID, military ID and passport. The State of Minnesota has an Identification Card Requirements
document on their website.
Where can I find a link to the city rules about alcohol licenses? I would like to understand the rules for businesses that sell alcohol.
How are these rules and regulations enforced?
1. Inspectors use a checklist for enforcement and accountability.
2. Inspectors do routine and complaint inspections. They are also assigned to work evenings and weekends.
What are the penalties if a business violates these rules? For repeat violations?
Warnings, citations, fines, license suspension and/or revocation.
How can I find out what my ward is and who the City Council Member for my ward is?
The City's website has a map
for you to type in your address.
Do you have a City Council calendar with meeting dates? If I attend a public meeting, may I voice my concerns to the City Council?
For reasonable accommodations, or alternative formats, call or email 311. People who are deaf, or hard of hearing, can use a relay service to call 311 at 612- 673-3000. TTY users can call 612- 673-2157 or 612- 673-2626.
Para asistencia 612- 673-2700. Yog xav tau kev pab hu 612- 637-2800. Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500.
Last updated Jul 15, 2019