Community Planning & Economic Development

Business Licenses & Consumer Services
350 S. 5th Street, Room 1
Minneapolis, MN 55415
Phone: (612) 673-2080
Fax: (612) 673-3399

Monday through Thursday
8:00 AM – 4:00 PM
Friday 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM

Visit Business Portal button

Didn't find what you are looking for?  Visit the Contact 311 web page for information about the City and City services.


Alcohol Use - Public Health and Safety Concerns

Alcohol Use and Responsibility

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommend if you drink alcoholic beverages to do so in moderation which is defined as no more than one drink per day for women and no more than two drinks per day for men.

There are some individuals who should not drink any alcohol including those who are:

Alcohol Use in Minneapolis

In Minneapolis, 37% of 9 th graders report alcohol use in the past year and 24% report alcohol use in the past 30 days. 21% of Minneapolis 9 th graders report riding in a car with friends who used alcohol or other drugs. (2007 Minnesota Student Survey)

Among Minneapolis adults, 17% report binge drinking (five or more drinks) more than once in the past 30 days. (2006 SHAPE Survey, Hennepin County)

Health and Safety Concerns

Alcohol is the third leading cause of death in the United States after tobacco, diet and physical inactivity. Alcohol use also contributes to the following health and safety issues:

(Information from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)


In 2001 the Minnesota Department of Health estimated the economic costs of alcohol use in the state at $4.5 billion. This is 19 times greater than the tax revenue collected from alcohol sales and equates to approximately $900 per person in the state.

More information

Blood Alcohol Calculator,

Blood Alcohol Calculator, Police Notebook

Alcohol and Public Health, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

Alcohol and Other Drugs, Minnesota Department of Health

Minnesota Licensed Beverage Association

Minnesota Liquor Omnibus Bill, 340A.404 – This state statute identifies specific locations where on-sale liquor or wine licenses can be issued regardless of local restrictions.

Last updated Feb 26, 2019



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-673-2157 or 612-673-2626.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 

Regulatory Services  ©1997-2019 City of Minneapolis, MN


311 call center

311 TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Watch Minneapolis City Council TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo