Home Improvement Permits Online
Home Improvement Permits Online for licensed contractors on 1 and 2 family dwelling unit properties. Contractors can apply, pay, and receive several simple (no plan or site review required) permits using the Web.
Use Online Permitting
Access hours to online permitting are:
Sunday, Noon - 7:00 PM
Monday through Saturday, 2:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.
How are we doing? Take the Minneapolis Development Review Customer Survey. The survey takes 5-10 minutes to complete. Thank you!
Contact Minneapolis 311 at (612) 673-3000 to request more information or if you experience problems with the user sign up. User Sign-Up You must be a licensed contractor to use Home Improvement Permits Online.
After your user account is set up you can access the online permit system, for help navigating the system please refer to the Online Permit User Guide.
Three types of simple permit (no plan or site review required) and associated scopes of work are available Online:
- Plumbing Fixtures: Replace existing plumbing fixtures, water lines, backflow devices ( not RPZ’s, permits for Reduced Pressure Zone Backflow devices are not available online at this time).
- Water Heater – Replace: Replace existing gas water heater with a new gas water heater. The replacement of an electric water heater requires both electrical and plumbing permits.
- Water Meter: Replace or relocate an existing water meter .
- Gas Meter: Replace or relocate an existing gas meter.
- Gas Fixtures – Fireplace, Stove, Dryer: Replace or install a gas fireplace, stove or dryer.
- Carpentry Exterior: Repair/replace existing wood features w/o altering structural elements.
- Masonry Work: Repair/replace exterior brick veneer or chimney.
- Roofing – Tear Off: Remove existing with new.
- Siding – Repair/Replace: Repair/replace existing siding w/o altering structural roof material and replace elements.
- Stucco/Plaster Repair/Replace: Repair or replacement of stucco or plaster down to and including the lathe.
- Window Replacement: Replace an existing window with like/kind – no change to the existing rough opening size.
- Combination: A combination of the above Scope Codes – normally requires a General Contractor’s license.
BSU-Street Use permits for dumpsters or storage containers
Residential HVAC Replacement Permit:
- Level 1: Includes Miscellaneous HVAC Work - No Burners
a. Radiation piping for space heating
b. Supplies & returns 4 openings or less (greater that 4 openings go to level 3)
c. Fresh air intake, air cleaner, humidifier, venting, fans, gas piping (heating systems only), radon mitigation and other accessories.
d. Air conditioner add-on or replacement
e. Solid fuel heating devices (wood, pellets, etc.)
- Level 2: Includes any Level 1 work and replacement of boilers/furnace
a. Replace boiler plus incidental piping
b. Replace furnace only with or without A/C - plenum included (no duct work beyond plenum)
c. Add or replace space heating unit
- Level 3: Includes any Level 1 or 2 work and entire system replacement
a. Remove existing system and install new (boiler or forced air system)
b. Install a new system to serve an existing non-conditioned space or addition
You can use the following credit cards:
You must be able to supply the cardholder name, address, card number, expiration date, and a valid e-mail address, or your permit cannot be processed.
Please make sure your e-mail address is correct, as this address is used to send you a digital copy of your receipt.
All credit card information is secured using VeriSign® SSL encryption.
The following computer capabilities are required:
Access to the Internet
A valid e-mail address
A Web Browser: Internet Explorer, Netscape, AOL (minimum version 5.0 for all), or Mozilla Firefox 11 or greater.
Printer - required to make copies of your payment receipt and permit
The CyberSource Reason Codes (pdf) is a list of reason codes returned for credit card services when you process an online transaction.
Last updated Jun. 21, 2013