Community Planning & Economic Development

Minneapolis Development Review
Public Service Center Building
250 S. 4th St., Room 300
Minneapolis, MN 55415
(612) 673-3000
Fax: (612) 370-1416
TTY: (612) 673-3300

Service Center Hours
Mon - Wed, Fri
8:00 AM – 4:00 PM
9:00 AM – 4:00 PM 

Customers requiring Plan Review, Zoning, Preservation & Design (HPC) or Housing/Rental License services must sign-in by 3:30 PM 

Free Customer Parking!
Map and Parking Information 
Photo of Public Service Center Building

Call 311 Call 3·1·1 for information about the City and City services.


Non-English Resources

Non-English Information, this icon shows text for espanol, hmoob and soomaaliga

Find services and City information translated in other languages.

Plumbing Permits

Note: Many projects require more than one permit. To determine which permits you need for your project, call Minneapolis 311 (if outside the Minneapolis city limits call (612) 673-3000).

A plumbing permit is required to:

When a plumbing permit is not required:

A permit is NOT required for one or two dwelling families (including townhomes) if the reconnection or replacement of dishwashers, ice-makers, and toilets if work does not involve the alteration of the existing water supply or existing plumbing system.

Plumbing Application Form

Plumbing Fee Schedule


Backflow Preventer Assembly Permits

Delayed Processing of RBA Applications

RBA Letter to Plumbers

RBA Application Form

Per State of Minnesota Statute 4714, an approved Backflow Assembly is required to be installed on equipment connecting to potable water in commercial properties and residential properties of three units or more.

The installation, removal or overhaul of these devices must be performed by a plumber licensed by the City of Minneapolis. Testing of these devices is required to be done annually. Testing must be performed by a person accredited by the State of Minnesota for backflow prevention testing.

Important Notice Regarding Backflow Assembly Permits

A test and inspection record card must be affixed to the device and the date, test results, testers name and certification number must be recorded on the inspection record after each test. An RBA Application Form and permit fee must be submitted by a City of Minneapolis licensed plumbing contractor for each installation, removal or overhaul and test performed.

Permit applications received for the installation of a Backflow Assembly will be processed as a RBA Permit. Each installation will be processed as a fixture and the minimum permit fee will apply.


Licensing Requirements

A homeowner who is the occupant of a single-family detached dwelling or single-family attached dwelling may apply for a permit to perform plumbing work as listed above on that property. (Note: single-family detached and attached dwellings as defined in Minneapolis Code of Ordinances, Section 89.30)

The City of Minneapolis issues licenses to plumbing contractors. A contractor applying for a license must either hold a City of Minneapolis Certificate of Competency at the master level or employ a tradesperson who does. Obtain a business license 

Last updated Feb 9, 2017



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-673-2157 or 612-673-2626.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 


311 call center

TTY relay service


facebook25x25 twitter25x25 youtube25x25 Minneapolis311icon logo tv 14 footer icon image linkedin_32x32