Community Planning & Economic Development

Minneapolis Development Review
Public Service Center Building
250 S. 4th St., Room 300
Minneapolis, MN 55415
(612) 673-3000
Fax: (612) 370-1416
TTY: (612) 673-3300

Service Center Hours
Mon - Wed, Fri
8:00 AM – 4:00 PM
9:00 AM – 4:00 PM 

Customers requiring Plan Review, Zoning, Preservation & Design (HPC) or Housing/Rental License services must sign-in by 3:30 PM 

Free Customer Parking!
Map and Parking Information 
Photo of Public Service Center Building

Call 311 Call 3·1·1 for information about the City and City services.


Non-English Resources

Non-English Information, this icon shows text for espanol, hmoob and soomaaliga

Find services and City information translated in other languages.

Street Use Permits

A street use permit is required when placing a dumpster or storage unit in the street or public right-of-way.

Only Minneapolis licensed Solid Waste Haulers, Wrecking Contractors or Storage Container companies may obtain Street Use Permits.  Licensed solid  waste haulers, wrecking or storage container companies are eligible to  pull street use permits online. Homeowners or building contractors wishing to place a dumpster or storage container on the street in the City of Minneapolis should contact a solid waste hauler or storage container company from the approved list.

Permits for 1 - 2 residential units are issued in 30 day increments only and may be renewed up to a total of 120 days.

A street use permit for a dumpster or storage unit is valid for 30, 60 or a maximum of 90 days. Properties on streets that include Public Works parking restrictions require Public Works approval before permit issuance. 
This approval may take 1-2 business days.  Street use permits are not valid during street cleaning or snow emergencies. All parking restrictions must be observed.

No permit is required to place a dumpster or storage unit in the driveway only of a residential property.

If you are a Solid Waste Hauling or Wrecking Contractor wishing to be licensed in the City of Minneapolis you should contact the Licenses & Consumer Services Division at (612) 673-2080 for application forms.

Last updated Sep 19, 2017



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-673-2157 or 612-673-2626.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 


311 call center

TTY relay service


facebook25x25 twitter25x25 youtube25x25 Minneapolis311icon logo tv 14 footer icon image linkedin_32x32