REGULAR MEETING AGENDA: TUESDAY, MAY 02, 2017
4:30 p.m. | City Hall, Room 317 | 350 South 5th Street | Minneapolis, MN 55415
Fatimat Porter– 612.673.3153
Laura Faucher, Chair | Diana Dyste | Laurel Fritz | Barbara Howard | Susan Hunter Weir
Ginny Lackovic | Linda Mack | Dan Olson | Ian Stade | Madelyn Sundberg
PETITIONS AND COMMUNICATIONS
APPROVAL OF ACTIONS FROM THE APRIL 18, 2017 MEETING
APPROVAL OF AGENDA
1. 2501 Columbus Avenue South, Ward 6
Staff report by Catherine Sandlund, PLAN4011
The Department of Community Planning and Economic Development recommends that the Heritage Preservation Commission adopt staff findings for the application by the City of Minneapolis to extend interim protection for Messiah Lutheran Church at 2501 Columbus Avenue South:
A. Landmark Designation extension.
Recommended motion: Extend the interim protection of the Messiah English Evangelical Lutheran Church to December 21, 2017, or until a decision has been made on the designation study, whichever is sooner, to allow for the completion of the designation process.
2. 101 3rd Avenue South, Ward 3
Staff report by Nicholas Baker, PLAN4021
The Department of Community Planning and Economic Development recommends that the Heritage Preservation Commission adopt staff findings for the applications by Mill Place LP for the property located at 101 3rd Avenue South in the St. Anthony Falls Historic District:
A. Certificate of Appropriateness.
Recommended motion: Approve the certificate of appropriateness to allow a new painted wall sign on a contributing building in the St. Anthony Falls Historic District Historic District, subject to the following conditions:
- Approval of the final plans by the Department of Community Planning and Economic Development.
- The sign will not be given an intentionally ‘distressed’ appearance.
- The sign will not be illuminated, and the proposed gooseneck lighting will be omitted.
- By ordinance, approvals are valid for a period of two years from the date of the decision unless required permits are obtained and the action approved is substantially begun and proceeds in a continuous basis toward completion. Upon written request and for good cause, the planning director may grant up to a one year extension if the request is made in writing no later than May 2, 2019.
- By ordinance, all approvals granted in this certificate of appropriateness shall remain in effect as long as all of the conditions and guarantees of such approvals are observed. Failure to comply with such conditions and guarantees shall constitute a violation of this Certificate of Appropriateness and may result in termination of the approval.
Recommended motion: Approve the historic variance to allow a new painted wall sign exceeding the maximum size allowed by the zoning code on a contributing building in the St. Anthony Falls Historic District.
3. Independent Order of Odd Fellows Hennepin Lodge #4 - 404 West Broadway, Ward 5
Staff report by Jim Voll
Review the design guidelines for an individual landmark located at 404 West Broadway.
4. C. A. Smith Lumber Historic District, Ward 4
Staff report by Jim Voll
Review the design guidelines for a historic district located at 4401 and 4400-4430 Lyndale Avenue North.
NEXT REGULAR HERITAGE PRESERVATION COMMISSION MEETING: MAY 16, 2017
• Please contact staff after the hearing if you have any questions regarding your project.
• Heritage Preservation Commission decisions are final unless appealed.
• The meeting site is wheelchair accessible. For other reasonable accommodations, such as a sign language interpreter or materials in an alternative format, please contact Fatimat Porter (612-673-3153) at least five days prior to the meeting. The lead time needed to provide reasonable accommodations (physical, visual, language interpretation and American Sign Language) are five business days.
• Para asistencia 612-673-2700 - Rau kev pab 612-673-2800 - Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500
Last updated Apr 25, 2017