File Number: 16-00888
Petition to amend the City Charter: Police professional liability insurance
- Receiving a report on the sufficiency of a citizen petition proposing to amend the City Charter in the form of a ballot question to require police officers to carry professional liability insurance.
- Directing the City Attorney to prepare a legal opinion on the citizen petition charter amendment on whether it is an appropriate proposal for placement on the ballot under applicable law and to draft the ballot question for the proposed amendment. The opinion shall be a public opinion. The opinion and draft ballot question shall be distributed to the Council and made available to the public by no later than Thursday, July 28, 2016.
- Referring the petition for charter amendment to the next regular meeting of the Committee of the Whole, scheduled for Wednesday, Aug. 3, 2016, at 10 a.m., for review and recommendation for final action by the full City Council at its regular meeting on Friday, Aug. 5, 2016.
- Passage of Resolution concurring in the legal findings of the City Attorney that the subject of the petition for police professional liability insurance is not a proper charter amendment and directing the City Clerk not to transmit the question to the County Auditor.
- Approving ballot language to submit the proposal of police professional liability insurance to the electorate as part of the 2016 General Election.
Originating Department: City Clerk's Office
- Police Professional Liability Insurance RCA (June 23, 2016)
- Police Professional Liability Insurance Audit Report (June 23, 2016)
- Police Professional Liability Insurance RCA (July 11, 2016)
- Police Professional Liability Insurance Supplemental Audit Report (July 11, 2016)
- Police Professional Liability Insurance RCA (Aug 3, 2016)
- Police Professional Liability Insurance Legal Opinion Memo
- Police Professional Liability Insurance CAO Presentation (Aug 3, 2016)
- Police Professional Liability Insurance CfPP Presentation
- Police Professional Liability Insurance Draft Ballot Language
- Police Professional Liability Insurance Draft Ballot Language Revised
See Clerk File CF16-00007 Committee for Professional Policing: Citizen Petition mandating Professional Liability Insurance for Minneapolis Police Officers
- Charter Amendment Petition Receipt 1
- Charter Commission Meeting (June 13, 2016)
- Committee for Professional Policing Petition Transmittal Letter
- Charter Commission Transmittal Letter
- Public Comment - Committee for Professional Policing
- Public Comment - Attorney Tim Phillips Letter (July 25, 2016)
- Charter Amendment Petition Receipt 2
- Clegg Public Comment Letter July 31, 2016
June 23, 2016: IGR Agenda (Original Petition)
June 23, 2016: IGR Committee Report
July 11, 2016: HECE Agenda (Amended Petition)
July 11, 2016: HECE Committee Report
July 22, 2016: City Council Agenda
July 22, 2016: Official Proceedings
July 26, 2016: Official Act
Aug. 3, 2016: COW Agenda
Aug. 3, 2016: COW Committee Report
Aug. 5, 2016: City Council Agenda
Aug. 5, 2016: Official Proceedings
Aug. 5, 2016: Official Act
Submit written comments about this item to: email@example.com.
Last updated May 8, 2017