File Number: 16-01013
Petition to amend the City Charter: Minimum wage
- Receiving a report on the sufficiency of a citizen petition proposing to amend the City Charter in the form of a ballot question to increase the minimum wage in Minneapolis to $15 an hour.
- Directing the City Attorney to prepare a legal opinion on the citizen petition charter amendment on whether it is an appropriate proposal for placement on the ballot under applicable law and to draft the ballot question for the proposed amendment. The opinion shall be a public opinion. The opinion and draft ballot question shall be distributed to the Council and made available to the public by no later than Thursday, July 28, 2016.
- Referring the petition for charter amendment to the next regular meeting of the Committee of the Whole, scheduled for Wednesday, Aug. 3, 2016, at 10 a.m., for review and recommendation for final action by the full City Council at its regular meeting on Friday, Aug. 5, 2016.
- Passage of Resolution concurring in the legal findings of the City Attorney that the subject of the petition for a minimum wage is not a proper charter amendment and directing the City Clerk not to transmit the question to the County Auditor.
- Approving ballot language to submit the proposal of a $15/hour minimum wage to the electorate as part of the 2016 General Election.
- Directing the Office of City Coordinator to work with stakeholders, review policies from other cities, review and incorporate results from the forthcoming minimum wage study, and recommend a minimum wage policy to bring before the Committee of the Whole by the second quarter of 2017; and to formulate a plan for engagement to bring before the Committee of the Whole on or before October 5, 2016.
Originating Department: City Clerk's Office
- Minimum Wage Increase RCA
- Minimum Wage Increase Audit Report
- 15NOW Amendment Public Comment (July 20, 2016)
- Minimum Wage Increase RCA (Aug 3, 2016)
- Minimum Wage Increase Legal Opinion Memo
- Citizen Petition Charter Amendments Presentation (Aug. 3, 2016)
- Minimum Wage Increase Draft Ballot Language
- Minimum Wage Increase Draft Ballot Language Approved (Aug. 3, 2016)
- Minimum Wage Public Comment
See Clerk File CF16-00006 Vote 15NOW MN Committee: Citizen Petition establishing a $15/hour minimum wage in Minneapolis
- Charter Amendment Petition Receipt
- Charter Commission Meeting (July 13, 2016)
- Vote 15 Now MN Petition Transmittal Letter
- Charter Commission Transmittal Letter
- Clegg Public Comment Letter July 31, 2016
July 20, 2016: COW Agenda
July 20, 2016: COW Committee Report
July 22, 2016: City Council Agenda
July 22, 2016: Official Proceedings
July 26, 2016: Official Act
Aug. 3, 2016: COW Agenda
Aug. 3, 2016: COW Committee Report
Aug. 5, 2016: City Council Agenda
Aug. 5, 2016: Official Proceedings
Aug. 5, 2016: Official Act
Submit written comments about this item to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last updated May 8, 2017