Core Principles of Community Engagement
1. Right to be involved – Public participation is based on the belief that those who are affected by a decision have a right to be involved in the decision-making process.
2. Contribution will be thoughtfully considered - Public participation includes the promise that the public's contribution will be thoughtfully considered.
3. Recognize the needs of all - Public participation promotes sustainable decisions by recognizing and communicating the needs and interests of all participants, including decision-makers.
4. Seek out involvement - Public participation seeks out and facilitates the involvement of those potentially affected by or interested in a decision.
5. Participants design participation - Public participation seeks input from participants in designing how they participate.
6. Adequate information - Public participation provides participants with the information they need to participate in a meaningful way.
7. Known effect of participation - Public participation communicates to participants how their input affected the decision.
Copyright IAP2. All rights reserved. Adopted by Minneapolis City Council, December 2007
The City of Minneapolis invites and encourages participation by every resident to each program, service and event within our city. Should you require an accommodation in order for you to fully participate, or should you require this document in a different format, please let us know by contacting 612-673-3737.
Last updated Apr. 27, 2012