NCR and MPD team up to host a Public Safety Career Fair on the city’s North Side
On Saturday, July 25th the Neighborhood and Community Relations (NCR) Department co-hosted a Public Safety Career Fair along with the Minneapolis Police Department’s Community Engagement Team at University of Minnesota Outreach-Engagement Center (UROC) in north Minneapolis. NCR’s African American Community Specialist, Ayianna Kennerly organized the event as part of her work to form relationships with the African American community and the City.
The goal of the career fair was to inform African American and other under-represented communities of the diverse array of public safety careers that are open available to apply for within the Twin Cities. The other aim of the career fair was to provide a positive platform for engagement between law enforcement, public safety liaisons and under-represented residents.
The career fair drew over 50 attendees. Participants were able to:
- Receive a list of current employment opportunities from 11 of the 13 agencies;
- Collect resume and cover letter tips and current City job openings from the City of Minneapolis’ Human Resources Department;
- 911 advertised 13 job’s that will be available in the fall and Human Resources advertised 6 City jobs.
- Engage and meet diverse employees currently working in the public safety field; and
- Build lasting relationships with participating agencies.
The event was also the first public safety themed career fair held in Minneapolis that brought together a wide array of local public safety agencies, which included: The City of Minneapolis Public Safety Departments; Hennepin and Ramsey County Departments; Minnesota State Patrol; Hennepin Emergency Medical Services; Metro Transit Police and the University of Minnesota Police Department. This collaborative effort established the ground work to build a larger, more diverse, applicant pool for the City of Minneapolis’ workforce.
To learn more about Ayianna’s work with the African American Community, please visit: http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/ncr/outreach/WCMS1P-143452.
Last updated Jul 29, 2015