Say cheese: City employees to get new photo IDs 

Property Services will soon update photo IDs for most City employees. This regularly scheduled update will ensure that the information and photos on the cards are current and that employees have the correct keycard access for City buildings.

The photo ID update excludes convention center and Police Department employees.

The photo ID update starts in City Hall this week. At the same time, the keycard access system for the City portion of City Hall will change to the same access system used in other City-owned buildings. The updated photo IDs for City Hall employees will then become their keycards. This will eliminate the need for staff going between City-owned buildings to carry two access cards. (Employees in leased office spaces such as the Crown Roller Mill and Flour Exchange buildings as well as the convention center will still need to carry the access-key cards specific to those locations.)

City Hall workers must keep their old City Hall access cards until the new electronic readers are turned on.

More secure, more convenient

Property Services is making these changes to provide more security for employees and their customers. They also hope to provide more convenient access to City buildings.  The changes will also reduce costs by limiting access cards to those employees who need them, decreasing the number of cards that are produced, issued, tracked and replaced. 

What to expect

Property Services will work with the liaison for your department to schedule and communicate your photo ID update. The camera and badging equipment will be set up in a number of different locations throughout the City to make it as easy as possible for you to get your new photo ID. Your liaison will schedule you and your coworkers in groups of four-six to get your photo taken. Please bring your old photo ID with you, as it will be collected when you receive your new ID. Your liaison will give you more details.

Access to federal parking ramp

Once the photo ID update is complete, the federal ramp will be updated to require keycard access with the new photo IDs. Look for more information on that this summer.


If you have questions about the photo ID update, contact Nora Gallagher or Art Thomas.

Published May 5, 2015



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-673-2157 or 612-673-2626.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 


311 call center

TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Minneapolis 14 Government TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo