City Hall will switch to mini deskside trash bins to reduce trash, increase recycling

City Hall employees working on the M Floor will soon have their deskside wastebaskets replaced with mini trash bins. The changeout is part of a Municipal Building Commission program to reduce trash, increase recycling and save money.

The program will roll out to the rest of City Hall by the end of July.The effort is similar to the central sorting stations at other City buildings.

How to use the mini bins

The mini bin is for small items such as candy and gum wrappers, staples, used pens and tissues, plastic packaging and other general office waste.

It is not for food, food wrappers or coffee cups; these go directly into larger, shared trash containers centrally located in each work area. The mini bins will not have garbage bags because they aren’t for wet trash.

You are responsible for emptying your mini bin. When your mini bin is full, empty it into the central, shared trash container. Custodians will empty the shared trash containers every day.

How to handle recyclables

Put your recyclables into your deskside recycling box. When the box is full, empty it into a shared one-sort recycling container in your work area.


Waste audits discovered that large amounts of recyclables at City Hall are put into the trash. On one day, 50 percent of the trash at City Hall was found to be recyclable, and much of it was beverage containers. These beverage containers won’t fit in the new mini bins. The bins’ small size will discourage all of us from automatically throwing away items that should go in the recycling instead.

The Waste Reduction and Resource Awareness Program will also reduce City costs:

Lastly, studies show that getting up from our desks and taking short walks helps us stay healthy. Sitting for long periods of time has been linked to a number of health concerns, including obesity, increased blood pressure and high blood sugar. Emptying the mini bin will help us take a short break, boost our energy levels and improve our efficiency.

Published May 19, 2015



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-673-2157 or 612-673-2626.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 


311 call center

TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Minneapolis 14 Government TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo